I have been told by 4 doctors I have fybro but I haven't chosen to believe until now

Posted , 3 users are following.

I haven't been willing to accept I have fybromyalgia even though a lot of my family members have fybromyalgia including two of my children. My dad drilled it into my head for years it was a fake illness although I live it and see my kids suffer and know it's not. I have all of the symptoms. My neck hurts the most, then my back and then randomness body parts will cause so much serious pain I insist the x eat to see if bones are broken which of course they are not. I use to have severe stiffness until I started going to the gym 3-4 days a week for an hour to an hour and half at a time. I weight train and do cardio. I started out only being able to lift 5 pounds on my arms and legs and now I'm up to 40. I could only do one minute of cardio on the bikes and now I'm up to ten minutes at a level one instead of zero. Some days I feel like every part of my is broken and going to gym can at times leave me in a lot of pain especially in my neck but overall I feel way happier than I use to. It also gives me energy. Before the fatigue was so debilitating I would be in bed most days and on certain days I couldn't even walk up the stairs. Does anyone else use exercise to treat fybromyalgia? Does it help you? Does it hurt your neck a lot?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi bunkymarie I have had fibromyalgia for over 20 years I was like you in the beginning laid up on the sofa or in bed most days taking strong painkillers I was a single mother with 3 young children at the time as they grew up there wasn't any medication I could take I was constantly in pain and tired I realised I had to do something to improve my health. My gp put me on a programme of hydrotherapy for for 12 weeks then 1 hour in the gym doing light exercises and 1 hour doing low impact aqua aerobics and swimming at first I felt very achy  but less tired I really enjoyed aqua aerobics I was pain free when I was in the water for me this was the best thing I ever did not only did I feel healthier  I also felt confident enough to enrol on a course at college then went on to do voluntary work, I was able to manage my pain more and became less tired my neck hurts a lot when I have sat at the computer for an hour these days I prefer to use an anti inflammatory gel fibro gel from the gp when my neck hip or back is very painful I rub in movelat gel.

Good luck with the exercises you will feel the benefit and be glad you did them I did and I am 59 years young :-)

Take care

Shirl x

• Posted

WOW thank you for sharing your story. Also thanks for the encouragement. My neck hurts from sitting at the computer or really any time I sit for longer than an hour even if it's watching tv. I think I went to hard at the gym and really hurt my neck so I'm taking it easy this week and then I will get back at it. ??

• Posted

I cycle to and from work every day. Even when the pain is horrible. I definately feel better compared to when I was driving to work or taking public transportation. I think the key is low impact exercising- especially when you feel the worst. I also found good strong massages from a massage therapist help immensely. 
    • Posted

Yes I didn't have an ounce of energy and the stiffness I felt was insane but now with excercise I feel way better but that's not to say I don't still have a bad day. Especially when I'm close to that time of the month. That seems to be when my symptoms are the worst. Sorry tmi 😬

• Posted

Oh and the biggest help for me came from diet. I stopped eating sugar, red meat, bread, any kind of wheat, coffee, alcohol, fried food. No fruits and no salads. I eat all of my vegetables cooked with steamed rice. For meat I will occasionally eat chicken, but stick mostly to seafood and eggs. If you have cholestorol problems make sure to check which seafood has the highest contents. Removing egg yolks and just eat egg whites also gives you egg benefits without cholestorol. 

A lot of people with fibro have yeast imbalances which is why it is very important to limit sugar, coffee, alcohol. Good luck.

• Posted

Hello that's for all of your helpful advice. We did go 100% gluten free in our home for two ears and I ate really well and it didn't do anything for me. ?? The only thing that had made a difference at all for me personally is excercise. But with that being said I think it's so important to eat healthy. You are doing great and I'm glad it's working for you ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.