I have been told I may have had a TIA or mini stroke.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was taken to hospital after suffering what they believe to be a TIA or mini stroke. I am having MRI Scan and they have put me on mead to thin blood. I am a bit concerned that I have what feels like a dead leg which isn't getting better. I know they say symptoms after a TIA normally go after 24hrs. I also didn't know that maternal grandmother, mother and aunt have all suffered TIAs or mini strokes. I haven't told the hospital as I wasn't aware. Is it normal to still have a heavy leg three days later. Any advice or info would be gratefully received. I did lose feeling in both legs and right arm. My arm is fine now!!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Scouser, sorry to hear about your tia, what other symptoms did you have? You are correct in saying that, if it was a tia the symtoms should have gone by now. When are you due to have the MRI scan and have they done a CT scan yet? I would speak to your doctor if your leg is no better by Monday. Hope you feel better soon, take care x
    • Posted

I am due my MRI next wednesday. I have had a neck scan. Its all so worrying i just want to get on with things and you just are not sure what you should and shouldnt do. Thanks for the reply.
  • Posted

Hi Scouser

I hope you are starting to feel better? Sometimes these things can take a long time to get better...

I note that you have a number of relatives who have also had similar problems.  I come from a family that has recently been diagnosed with the genetic illness - Fabry disease.  For years I was told by several different hospitals that I was suffering from MS.  A series of appointments with the doctors at University College hospital, London resulted in a change of diagnosis and now I receive treatment for the Fabry disease (I didn't get any treatment for the MS diagnosis, fortunately).  The test for Fabry disease is a simple blood test.  I would urge you to ensure that you are tested.  Good luck smile

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Out of curiosity, I looked up Fabry disease and was pretty astonished at what I found.  Did you suffer from Raynauds prior to your diagnosis?  Also, did you have neuropathy in any region of your body?  I'm not certain if you have Wikipedia in London...as I'm in the USA, but if you do I would urge you to look Fabry up on that website.  I'd appreciate you input on the Raynauds and neuropathy at your convenience.

Thank you,

beth4700

• Posted

Hi Beth

One of the biggest problems that doctors have faced with Fabry disease is that many of the symptoms can easily be related to other illnesses and that is why a blood test is so important.  Although the disease has been known about for over a century, it is only just now being included in the training matter for new doctors. I have never suffered from Raynauds but understand that tingling is one of the symptoms of this disease? I have suffered with tingling in my hands and feet since 1996 which is one of the reasons that I was diagnosed with MS.  The main test used to diagnose MS is a lumbar puncture and 90% of people with MS will show 'bands' in their spinal fluid - I happened to be on of the 10% whose didn't show bands - but was still diagnosed as having MS sad

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Thanks so much for your response.  Raynauds is debilitating and is not taken seriously since they really don't know what causes it.  I guess that's why it's called Raynauds Phenomenom..lol  My hands turn pure white ,since you lose all blood flow, (I have it in my feet as well) then they start turning blue as the blood returns and then turn purple once it goes "back to normal" ...then it starts all over again and again and again.   It's so painful.  I fear if it keeps up I will eventually lose digits.  Thank you for the information on this.  I think I will ask my doctor to run the test just to be certain.  In the USA MS is misdiagnosed on a substaintial level. There are many doctors that have used Facebook on this topic because it is so bad.  My husband is diabetic and was using sweetner substitutes and doctors thought he may have had MS. Prior to doing a bunch of tests, I did a little research and found an article published by a doctor stating that some people can't tolerate certain sweetner substitutes commonly used in "diet" foods and beverages and many had been diagnosed with MS and even ended up in wheel chairs due to the muscle pain and loss that mimicked MS. My husband gave up the sweetner substitues and his symptoms almost immediately went away (a couple of weeks).  It was pretty amazing and the doctors where amazed as well.  It just goes to show that a second, third or even fourth opinion can help sometimes.  I don't endorse self diagnosis but I do think it's important to get on responsible forums and to educate yourself on your body in conjuction with going to a professional medical doctor.  I wish you well and appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Beth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.