i have been told i need surgery since i have perthes disease

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 16 and I was wondering if anyone has had this operation before. I would like to talk to someone who has gone through the same thing as I am going through.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have had both knees and both hips replaced because of RA, my left hip was replaced a second time after it dislocated 3 times within 5 weeks. Hip replacement is a breeze compared to knee replacement! You are young and my advice to you is to ask the doctor what replacement joint he plans on using. If you are athletic there is no reason he cant use a joint that is suitable for that. My newest unit has an extra gasket kind of thing that keeps it from dislocating so easily. the downside is if it ever does it takes surgery to put it back in place. Believe me I would rather have surgery then ever experiencing a dislocation again, it's the worst form of pain you would ever experience in your life and you don't want to go there!!!!

I was walking around the house without a walker about 3 days after I was released and I was released the day after the surgery, I hate hospitals. Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.