I have below normal T4 levels. 9.7, but not elevated TSH levels (3.24)

Posted , 4 users are following.

My t4 levels are below normal however my TSH levels are not elevated. What I have read, points to the pituitary glad being the problem, and perhaps being secondary hypothyroidism. Just wondering if this is serious, or if taking synthroid will help level off my hormones, or if there is something serious going on?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I can't really answer the question, but I was the same. I am guessing that you are in USA, and I am in UK, so we have different medication, etc. I am 70 now, but when I was in my late 30s I had the same results, and was told that the pituitary wasn't doing what it should do. I was put on thyroxine (now called levothyroxine - no idea why the name change or if medication is different) and that was all. I really didn't feel "right" if you know what I mean, but I didn't get any other medication. I would really be interested in finding out how you get on.

I was disappointed that the fact that the pituitary wasn't working properly wasn't investigated, to see if anything else that it should be doing wasn't happening either. I know quite a few people who have low thyroid conditions, but I don't know anyone else who has what we have. I don't think it is that common.

The fact that I am still alive, shows it is not really any more serious than the usual primary disease. I still wish that I had more energy, felt less lethargic and could lose weight easily, but doctors would probably say "what do you expect at your age".

Good luck. I hope someone else can give you the answers you want.

• Posted

HI, thank you for your response. It's difficult going through something new especially when it concerns your health. Postop. visit today went well but the surgeon felt i was put on too high a dose of the Levothyroxine. He said your body continues to make hormones for up to a month after a thyroidectomy. It was like I was on a double dose between my own hormones and the meds. Felt relieved knowing cancer was in the early stage and no lymph nodes or surrounding area were affected. THANK YOU for your support and words of experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.