I have blurry vison and frequent headaches, what should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been having blurry vison and frequent headaches for a while now, my research is pointing towards computer vison syndrome, I can't quit my job just because of this though, I also animate as a hobby project. What should I do? I could quit animating, but a large portion of my day will be on a computer at work. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would try using lubricating eyedrops, when we use the computer a lot or look at a screen or tv we dont blink as often causing dryness which causes blurry vision. Also I would make sure your computer is at an optimal height for your eyes. You should be able to see over the top of your computer that way you are looking down at your screen instead of up. This reduces the amount of your eye that is exposed. Also just try to remind yourself to blink more often and every 20 minutes look away from your screen for 20 seconds. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

In addition, you might want to try different monitors. I know that some people experience eyestrain from glossy monitors or in contrary - on matted monitors.

Also, there are many other monitor parameters that can have impact on our eyes:

- brightness - make sure it's not too bright or too dark. It should feel the same or just slightly lighter than surrounding environment

- environment is not too dark (don't work in total darkness) or too bright (don't work against sunlit window, use blinds but do not block the light to complete darkness)

- color scheme - some prefer darker colors. I don't like them because I have intense persistence effect after using dark scheme for just a few seconds

- backlight frequency - prefer "flicker free" displays, if possible

- blue light filter - some displays have this built-in, although that might be just a marketing gimmick

- other display imperfections that distract your focus causing eyestrain - graininess, screendoor effect, cloudiness of some parts of images, "flashlight effect" (when the screen area directly in front of you is clear but rapidly becomes darker or lighter in the peripheral area, thus causing eye discomfort).

Sometimes price is not an indicator of a monitor that is good for your vision. Some expensive monitors can provide gorgeous colors, huge brightness parameters, but at the same time be bad for someone's vision.

You might want to compare different monitors and how does it feel working on each of them for a day or more, and choose the monitor that feels easier on your eyes.

• Posted

Have you seen an optician for an eye test within the last 2 years?    You may also need glasses just for screen work.

Both K1095 and martinicus have also given you excellent advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.