I have broken my left wrist and have it in a cast. I broke it on the 2nd of May. Just recently I

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been getting icy cold sensation down towards my elbow. Should I be worried about this or is it a normal symptom within the healing process. Thanks in advance.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Dont know where you are in the world but is your arm getting cold due to not being able to get a long sleeve top on?     I hope that doesnt sound crazy but it is quite easy to forget to keep the upper part of your arm warm when you have a wrist plaster.

Alternatively it could be some nerve damage. If it increases you should get some advice from your doctor or the fracture clinic.

• Posted

Hi Marina Dee

I am in North Devon, in the UK smile I have an appointment on the 14th of June hopefully good news but I have my doubts thanks for your reply xxx

• Posted

Hi Yvonne

I used to get cold sensations from under the cast to the elbow it felt like cold water running down my arm.

Hope it heals well.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your injury. I also had similar sensations when I broke me wrist... I think it is normal. Good luck with your recovery.
  • Posted

Those icy cold sensations sound really uncomfortable and painful!  I hate that you're going through this! I'm not able to offer anything helpful about the icy cold sensations, unfortuntaely.  From reading I've done since having my cast put on (5/9) it seems that there are a number of bizzarre, uncomfortable, and painful sensations that occur when you're casted.  It might be best to call your doctor's office and report your symptoms to a nurse so they can provide information about whether it's normal or if you need to be seen.   How are you doing with your cast?  How has your level of discomfort and pain been otherwise?  How long are you in the cast?

?I dislocated my wrist & tore several ligaments toward the end of April.  They initially diagnosed it as a sprain, then did an MRI when my symptoms kept getting worse in the brace.  I'm now in a full/long cast to the shoulder.  I've been in considerable pain since the cast went on 3 weeks ago.  I've also felt as if someone has been scratching me inside the cast (think cat scratch sensation) and a really intense rug-burn-like pain if I move around the house for more than a few minutes.  It's also not uncommon for my arm to feel as if it's "falling asleep" and then get numb and heavy - not comfortable.

This injury and cast has affected and changed every area of my life.  It's quite different from previous injuries I've had.  I was really unprepared for how this was going to be.

?I hope you're doing okay!  I also hope you get some relief from those icy cold sensations!! 

• Posted

TTM I feel your pain I really do you sound much worse than me rolleyes lol I am just glad it wasn't my right wrist as I am right handed. I just hope the cast will come off on the 14th June. It's also the intense itching underneatj the  cast, I have found another use for my crochet hooks lol they slide up and down easily lol. Hope you heal soon too xxx

• Posted

Thank you for your message!  How are you doing?  Were you able to get some relief from the icy sensations?  Were you able to check in with your doctor?

What a great use for crochet hooks!  You get the cast off on the 14th?  I hope it's off then!  Mine will hopefully come off on the 15th.  If it does, I start physical therapy the next day.

Thank you!  I hope you are feeling better & healing well!

• Posted

Hi TTM biggrin

No its still gettin worse and to make matters worse think I have done something to my right thumb  bleurgh lol. Never mind I hope the cast can come off on the 14th rolleyes otherwise I will go mad lol. Hope your not doing too bad, yours sounds much worse than mine, hope your not in too much pain. Will let you know when Ive been next week, will message on this thread xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.