I have bulging and herniated discs in cervical and lumbar spine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have about 12 bulging and herniated discs between the cervical spine and lumbar. I also have stenosis and nerve damage throughout as well as schmorls nodes. I also have arthritis. I received my confirmed fibromyalgia diagnosis today. My question is. What kind of effects will fibromyalgia have on what I already have going on. I am a mother to 20 month old twins and I don’t have the luxury to take it easy or not do strenuous activities. I’m scared of the outcome of all this.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan, ya I can relate to all those conditions etc... You see with fibro any pain we have is always heightened unfortunately. I try to do little light stretches daily, if it's a time when I can't get up out of bed, I will try lifting just arms and legs so as muscles don't stiffen. The thing with fibro is it affects everyone of us differently and each of our own days will be different. I certainly don't get 1 day the same. It's easier said than done when you're in a lot of pain but keep your chin up Susan. Keep posting, it's helpful on here

X

• Posted

Hi Sysan,

Many Fibro symptoms are similar to both Myelopathy from spinal stenosis and arthritis. The latter two have inflammation to boot.

Its possible you are feeling the effects of all three which can be a daily battlefield and impossible to distinguish but on the plus side the treatments for each are also similar.

From research however, Fibromyalgia isnt progressive ,even though the pain & stiffness may seem to be increasing, there is supposedly no increasing damage to the body. Arthritis & myelopathy can remain stable or get worse unfortunately.

The focus should be on managing all as best you can with pain medication, muscle relaxants, rest, excersise & pacing.

Easier said than done when you've got little ones depending on you but you have to squeeze in time for yourself otherwise youre going to be worn down and you must get as much help from friends & family as you can.

You might benefit from online support groups where you can get advice, tips and reassurance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.