I have bump at the very top end of my buttcrack and it's been really painful until now.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been searching the whole internet on what is it that I have at the very top end of my buttcrack and all it gives me is a pilonidal cyst.

On september 13, 2017 , I sat all day long in front of my desk, studying for 4 exams for the next day. I finished at 1AM and laid down immediately in my bed to get some sleep but I suddenly felt tiny pain at my back. I thought it was only because of too much time i spent sitting and studying.

The pain was gone for several days but as soon as vacation started, the pain came back and 2 days later, a bump started to grow in that area. I had it checked at the hospital but I still haven't received the results yet. At first, the bump was felt internally but now, it's already seen outside and it's very painful that I can't even walk wihout waddling, and I haven't laid on my back since the pain started, only laid on my sides. So yesterday, I started taking antibiotics because my parents said so, I thought it would at least have it healed quickly.

Yesterday, it started oozing pus, it was very smelly and it was all over my underwear, the smell penetrated through my bedsheets, and I've never smelled this nasty before. Is this a good thing? The pus is more of a yellowish but also brownish when too much comes out. Sometimes, blood comes out too but it's 1/10 of the pus.

Until now, it's still leaking pus, so I wore pads inside my underwear to prevent it from spreading nasty odor around my room, my bed, and my clothes.

My main concern is,

1. I've been cleaning the pus until now with a toilet paper, is it safe to use toilet paper in cleanig the pus? 

2. When will it stop leaking pus? Uni starts in three days, so I'm very worried that I'll be smelly at school, waddling like a penguin because of the pain that the bump gives.

3. As said above, classes will start soon so I don't have much time for operation. Any suggestions to take care of it at home?

I will be sharing updates about my ""bump"" every now and then, maybe, and I would like to hear comments from anyone who would want to help me. : ) 

thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi kmal!  I am not a medical professional but the mother of a son who has suffered from pilonidal disease for a long time.  It sounds like you might have what is usually termed a pilonidal cyst.  It is important to go to the right colorectal surgeon to get treatment.  We learned the hard way that open excision surgery will only make things worse - which is what most seem to want to do.  There are things that the right surgeon can do to help with the pain and possibly take care of the issue without having to do a any real surgery. But don't do an open excision. That surgery has about a 50% success rate because many people can never heal from the surgery wounds.  That is what happened to my son.  The expert on pilonidal disease (its not a cyst it is really an abscess) is Dr. Jeffrey Sternberg in CA.  His website with lots of info is.  That is the best place to become informed yourself.  We went to CA to have him do a surgery for my son - including repairing the damage of the former surgeries.  It was worth every penny to go to him.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

1. I've been cleaning the pus until now with a toilet paper, is it safe to use toilet paper in cleaning the pus? 

Cleaning with toiler paper would only clear the external discharge. Since its leaking it indicates an internal infection, and has to be cleaned in a sterilized environment/materials to avoid further infections. Looks like this is pilonidal sinus and I would highly recommend you seek help from a doctor to confirm.

2. When will it stop leaking pus? Uni starts in three days, so I'm very worried that I'll be smelly at school, waddling like a penguin because of the pain that the bump gives.

You need to consult a doctor to determine what it is: if its just a small infected sinus, usually they get it drained  out, treated to heal the sinus internal out. If the doctor determines this is a pilonidal sinus, they would take you to a minor surgery ( usually under general anasthesia) to remove the infected area/skin usually filled with hair. The post op care would depend on whether your doc would stitch the wound ( easy to heal ) or leave it open for self healing ( takes more time depending on your age/health)

3. As said above, classes will start soon so I don't have much time for operation. Any suggestions to take care of it at home?

Do not do this to yourself, help yourself out by consulting a doctor. If this is a small sinus then you may be able to take care of it on your own with proper hygiene and meds.

Good luck !

• Posted

Hey kmal! I believe that the same thing! Right now it was a small bump and like your experience, it first hurt to sit down like I was sitting too much. Them it felt like am underground pimple, but the pain was bad and it hurts to sit down and lay on my back. It then developed the bump and I don't know what to do.

What did you do? I'm going to the doctor so they can diagnose it, but your experience sounds just like what I'm experiencing, please help me!

• Posted

hi Frassy i was wondering what your doctor diagnosed this as and what he/she said to do because i think i am also starting to develop this. thanks

• Posted

I had the exact same thing although I am not a doctor and it's always better to seek expertise.

What happens is you probably have ingrown hairs,tunneling inside you creating a cyst/exit wound and fluid discharge.

The only way to heal from this problem is to surgically remove the hair/infected area and let your flesh/skin regrow back in without regrowing hair by removing hair ducts.

The first two surgeries were unsuccessful for me however the third one worked although I still feel a slight discomfort when sitting on hard surfaces from scar tissue.

I had the surgeries done 11 years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.