I have changed my doctor and I feel guilty! :(

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I broke my hand and I went to an orthopedics and he said I need surgery and scheduled a surgery for me. Then, I went home I thought it is better to get second opinion from another doctor. I went to the second doctor and he also said I need surgery and since I saw the second doctor is more experienced that the first one, I canceled my first surgery and scheduled it with the second doctor. Now, I feel guilty. The first doctor was so nice and his assistant even told me I have time to make decision about cancellation and I told her that I need second opinion and then make decision. Now, that I emailed her to cancel she asked me whether I get second opinion! I do not know how to reply to her message. I feel guilty.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

NO NEED! You are the boss of your body and health, you do what you think is right!

• Posted

Hi Hannah,

Never feel guilty about about a doctor. These days you can never be too careful, on just one diagnosis.

You would assume your own doctor would know literally about everything, this is not always the case.

Back in 2010 my doctor prescribed me antibiotics for 6 weeks, before I told him "Look this is not an infection, it would have cleared up by now!".

Now I do my own research - (Doctor's will advise against it, because you could misdiagnose what is really wrong with your health). After I told my doctor this they informed me to not trust what you read on the Internet. Which is normal from most doctor's, but bear-in-mind that Doctor's are only taught to a certain level, anything beyond their scope will mean you seeing a consultant.

Anyway, I asked to be seen at A&E, and to be diagnosed in hospital. After a few checks, I was diagnosed with cancer. So, I ended up in hospital for 3 days, but at least I got the correct treatment.

I had 5 polyps removed, all of which turned out to be malignant (cancerous), and my doctor was prescribing me antibiotics.

Since then, I have avoided my own doctor like the plague, even though I had a letter of apology. That was no excuse if they had done their job properly in the first place. I had to attend 7 years in cancer remission.

I have spoken to my doctor since over the phone, but I could tell they wanted to end the call quickly and abruptly. They have been like that to me ever since.

We have about 14 doctor's at our surgery, I alway's make appointments for myself when my own doctor is not available.

At the end of the day, it's your body, so do what you think is right. A second opinion is always a good idea these days. You could look at it another way, "Would you put your life in the hands of just one doctor?" - After what happened to me, there is no chance I will ever rely on just one doctor.

Anyway, don't feel guilty Hannah, it's your body not theirs, so you do what you think is right and not rely on one diagnosis.

All the best,

SteV3,

• Posted

No need to feel guilty and no need to reply. Doctors face broken appointments every day. They have enough patients to keep them busy.

• Posted

It's your body and you need to have the doctor you feel will give you the best surgery for the best outcome. You have no reason to feel guilty. She was just doing her job in a nice way and you don't have to feel obligated or guilty in anyway. Get it done and be happy you found a doctor you like and feel confident with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.