I have chest pain for 2 years

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi there! i'm just looking for answers. Im 29 male. now i have chest pain for about 2 years. the pain comes and goes. when it comes it may last for an hour to days. i took 3 ecg tests, which came normal, (in fact one showing right axis deviation which the doctor said its not something to worry). i took stress ecg, echo, chestxray and blood tests for cholesterol, LDL,HDL, triglycerides troponin and ckmb all came back normal. the doctor said confidently that my case is not cardiac origin. but i still have the chest pain typical to angina. some times felt on my left shoulder and hand. the pains last longer than 30 minutes. doesn't get worsen with exercise . please im getting worried. please help

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I know you might not want to here it, but it can even be anxiety (people don’t like this diagnosis as it’s the “all in your head” stuff). But really don’t be scared. You’ve had a lot of tests done and nobody will decide to do more in your risk group, as other tests are invasive and can really cause trouble. But listen to my story. I’m 34. I have a lot of risk factors (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, overweight - all slightly, but all there). I’ve been getting these cardiac style chest pains more frequently especially when nervous for about 2 years. As I’m not considered low risk, I’ve had most tests many times. To date, between 2016 and now, I’ve had 50 ECGs done (about 10 because of the chest pain, but I also have routine ones due to potentially QT prolonging drug combinations). While the ECGs come back normal, when you have more and more of them not all will be normal. I’ve had random ones showing axis deviation (both left - twice and right once) and had one that made my GP forced me to go to hospital by ambulance due to how leads V2 and V3 looked. For him it was Wellens Syndrome, so almost a heart attack equivalent. Both the emergency doctor and consultant cardiologists just laughed and said it was lead misplacement and baseline wander.

however if you are not reassured by my story or the tests you’ve been given, you can get an angio CT scan (computerized tomography of the heart arteries). This is non invasive (though with use of a contrast dye which can cause problems) and a bit more sensitive than the tests you’ve had. I don’t know where you live, but it can be done everywhere, if the healthcare system or insurer don’t want to do it for free, you can pay for it. Maybe this will give you peace of mind, though I don’t really think you need it, with all those tests done.

The ultimate test for artery blockages would be a coronary angiogram, but this is an invasive and potentially risky procedure, which is why doctors screen patients and don’t perform it in low risk ones. In most countries you can’t just buy that procedure, you would have to convince a doctor it is necessary, but that is probably hard to do and imho a bad idea as well, I think the doctor knows better than us in the first place!

mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.