I have chronic insomnia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have chronic insomnia, being seeing a psychologist for childhood traumas.  Doctor started me on dosulepin 3 weeks ago, working up to 3 a day for the insomnia.  In the meantime I've taken zoplicone for a fortnight been off them for 3 nights, only sleep about 1 hour a night.  Does anyone know how long you have to take dosulepin before it helps the insomnia 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I really don't know of any circumstances in which a doctor would prescribe dosulepin nowadays. It is very strongly linked to irreversible heart damage.

I used to take it to help with the zopiclone to stay asleep. If your problem is actually depression, it could take a while for dosulepin to start working. A psychologist who looked into my position thought I must be taking it just for the drowsiness it produces, which works, I think, on a one off basis.

I strongly suggest you read up on dosulepin and heart worries, after which you will probably want go back to your doc and say you want something else (and not mirtazapine).

• Posted

Hi Robert

I have never heatd of dosulepin. Why do you not recommend mirtazapine? What have I missed about that drug as I take it and it does help my depression and apparently helps me to get over zopiclone addiction. I really wish I had no drugs in my system at all and pray for the day this occurs. I have simvastin and lisonopril as well. 

• Posted

From memory I believe it is a tricyclic antidepressant used to be called dothiepin. My concern is the toxicity I do not believe their is an antidote for them? Dangerous in overdose situations I'll have to come back on this one?
    • Posted

The weight gain problems for most people on mirtazapine seem to me highly unhealthy. If it's not a problem for you and the drug is helping you, then maybe it's the best way to go on for you at the current time.

I must say I still don't know, as many would try to tell us, that zopiclone is chemically addictive. Maybe it's possible to start using it by habit, but that to me is not quite the same as what I would generally regard drug addiction to be. There is the problem that it may become less effective with time, so maybe if an anti-anxiety drug helps it's as well to take that. It seems to me usual practice is to prefer to treat an underlying problem rather than its symptoms. But it follows from that, it seems to me, that if your primary problem is insomnia, then something specifically helpful in providing that sleep is what is required.

• Posted

Hi

I have been taking dosulepin for 18 years to help with my sleep problem started of on 75mg and had to up it by 25 mg like every month I was on 225mg which was a lot back then it helped me sleep for a while but it used to make me feel irritable so I cut it down to 75 mg although I still need the zopiclone to send me to sleep I haven't had any problems with my heart whilst I have been on it and I don't think it helps with depression either all it does is make you feel drowsy all the time it's a cheap drug as well probably why they dish it out so much

• Posted

Hi Kelly you've made me laugh first time Ive seen anything on here to make me ( re cheap drug) but true! They've already done the smarties (Valium) in the 60s so whats next do you think?

I was all night last night on here, awful. Such nice but desperate people. there surely enough of us on this forum to arrange something? I've put posts on here usually on the benzo site but some on zopiclone and a bit on this one - if you need to chat you know how to find me

kind regards

Sonia

• Posted

Hi

I don't think anyone would take us serious enough to try and tell them about zopiclone and how addictive it is the doctors just dont want to know because they don't have the time to listen to anyone anymore the only way to get people to listen is to get someone famous to highlight it that is only when I think they would listen and re think it through

• Posted

How about their own website ?

Google

Royal college of psychiatrists

benzodiazipines

Go down the page to the bar

Just above managing withdrawal

And there it is ! I've posted it before under Benzodiazipines but only 2 looked I think 'why don't psychiatrists follow their own website

Zopiclone is on the same page too I I admit it's too quick their taper but how can they ignore it I produced the print out I have just got somebody of a section during abrupt withdrawal also had drugs reinstated

COULD WE MAKE IT GO VIRAL?

All drugs that that cross the blood brain barrier are psychoactive must take time to stabilise

• Posted

Kelly I had it read out by David Cameron at PMQs on the 23/10/2013 The Late Jim Dobins MP asked the question Google it and it's online the Q is around 15 minutes in and lasts for just over a minute. I am assured things are happening. Still to quick the taper! Did you expect the Queen to read it? anyway that would be the house of lords -- I'm not a lady yet!!!
    • Posted

All doctors say that zopiclone is not addictive just to throw us of the scent I don't understand that if sleep is the best medicine there is then why deny us of trying to get some help with these tablets it's ok keep dishing out antidepressants and let's face it if they did work how they are meant to then no one would be on zopiclone
    • Posted

Did you not get my replies they cannot deny addiction or withdawl

Did you not look up the Royal college of psychiatrists because it is written there

The David Cameron PMQs I have the recording of on my last 2 replies To you I thought between us we could put it on face book or tweet and retweet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.