I have closed angle glaucoma & have been prescribed Steroids for a skin complaint is it safe to take them?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a rash on various parts of my body which is very itchy & I scratch which makes it worse occasionally it goes away but now it is really bad & my doctor has prescribed a short course of steroids. Is it safe to take them since I have closed angle glaucoma?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you value your eyesight then, please, contact your opthalmologist with the specifics of your situation.

• Posted

Thank you, Rex, but no one seems to know the answer I've asked my doctor & she is not sure said as it's a short course it MAYBE safe I rang the hospital where I have 6 monthly check ups they advised me to go back to my doctor & were of no help. Now I'm in a quandary not sure who to ask next, I'm also waiting for an appointment with a Dermatologist which my doctor is setting up & said perhaps I should wait until after this.
  • Posted

If you can put up with the itch, I'd be with you on waiting 'till after the appointment with a Dermatologist .

I cant understand how your doctor can prescribe the stuff without first checking on suitability.......... (what country are you in?)

In my experience very few medical 'professional' are aware of what pharma products are contraindicated for ANG. sad

• Posted

I live in the U.K. my doctor has been very good she has prescribed several hydro cortisone creams & ointments but these are only a temporary cure as it comes back within a week & my skin feels really rough after using them. Obviously, GP's cannot know all the answers as she freely admitted that she was not aware of the effects of Steroids on particular complaints. She has also given me various creams to wash in & moisturise my skin but again not a cure. The hospital where I had the Laser treatment has not responded to my phone calls but we've just got an email address for the doctor there & await his reply - that is if he does.

Thank you for your interest I will now wait until I see the Dermatologist as my eyesight is too important to lose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.