I have COPD

Posted , 5 users are following.

i was wondering if anyone else has problems like I have I am always getting a sore throat feeling like I have a cold coming but it never does if anyone has any help to cure these problems I would be very grateful

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Teresa

What medications are you taking?

There are inhalers that have that side effect.

Lill

• Posted

Hi Teresa

Lilly is right, this could be your inhalers. Try rinsing and spitting after you use them. Otherwise this could be more a sinus drainage issue.

Hope it gets better soon.

• Posted

Hi Teresa

My husband who was diagnosed with COPD early 2009, does get this symptom quite often. He uses three to four inhalers daily. Something I keep the following in the fridge all year round and it helps him with this, also at the start of an exacerbation when his throat gets tender prior to coughing and that. I slice ginger and lemons in a sterilized jar and fill it up to the top, then pour honey till the jar is full.I allow ithis mixture to 'ferment' in the fridge for at least a month before first use. Then at the slight feel of a sore throat, he takes a tablespoon of this honey twice or three times a day. And the next day the soreness usually disappears. I believe it's pretty harmless and I hope it helps.

• Posted

I am taking setratide purple one and the blue inhaler 
    • Posted

Hi Teresa

The seretide has a corticosteroid (stereoid) in it.  Steroids can cause sore throats.

After you use your inhaler, you should always rinse and gargle and then spit out.  Just use plain water. You should do this every time.

If using inhalers with steroids and not rinsing, patients can develope an infection called Thrush. You can research about it.

Also...when using inhalers, if possible, using a 'spacer' for the doses also is helpful. You could speak to your pharmacist about getting a 'spacer' and the benefits of using one.

Lill

• Posted

Ok thank you I will ask at chemist for spacer 
  • Posted

Yes I am in uk,and thank you for that I will get it sorted I am not liking this sore throat and cough 
  • Posted

My 85-year-old father has COPD.  He uses a puffer in the morning and at night.  He has had a sore throat for six months at least.  I have had a throat swab done in the Emergency Dept. but negative.  I started thinking he has laryngeal cancer of the throat.  He hasn't a voice in at least two months.  He has had two admissions.  I ask but nobody seems to give me an answer.  I am starting to think maybe because he is 85 that nobody seems to care.  I just don't understand why they don't follow up with any suggestions, medications etc.  His doctor once gave him a spray but it just numbs the throat.  He doesn't hardly bother talking because it is just a big whisper.  
    • Posted

Hi Northskies

I am so sorry for your father that he's going through this, and for all of you that he's lost his voice. I'm sure it goes without saying that you've tried him on every kind of gargle, lozenge and herbal tea + honey known to man? Also Roxalia (sp?) and slippery elm?

With me, sore throat is virtually always indicative of post nasal drip having dried along the passages. Dissolving it is crucial. I've also had an infection get into my vocal cords, but that is so painful within 24 hrs that one can't swallow one's saliva, so I don't think it could be that. Y'all must have already considered all environmental factors.

Did they check your father for thrush?

• Posted

Hello Northskies

What type of inhaler does your father take?

Lill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.