I have copd and am in care of hospicecare

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been put on lots of different meds but have found my blood sugar to be 23.1 at last test. I have not been told I am diabetic but even after fasting overnight it was over 9. What ideas does anyone have that I should do about this. Should I just ignore it or what?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry the above should read I have been told I am not diabetic
  • Posted

Hello. I can't believe you have been told that. Go on to diabetes UK and you will learn a lot. I'm pre-diabetic and I know for sure that that is high. You might be pre-diabetic also. I take my blood glucose every day the highest it's ever been is twelve. Don't worry a change in diet will help you.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Yea thanks for that I think the main reSon is I am on long term high dose steroids 40 mg daily plus the Seratide etc. and everything I read says you can become diabetic from that. I really think that because I am a bit too far gone now and they expect me to die within 6 months or so they rant bothered about it as they don't test me I have had to buy all my own stuff and do everything myself sad . But I am always thirsty and using the loo a lot but am unable to exercise due to being almost bedridden most of the time. I will go to the site you suggested because I should at

East be able to make the end a little more comfortable than I feel at the moment. My reading last night was 23.9 and I would have said that was high in most peoples book.

• Posted

Oh so sorry if I upset you didn't realise you where so very ill. I really don't know what else to say. But you can chat to people on the sight I gave you they are really nice.

Bye

• Posted

Thank you all yes I am ill but not miserable about it I made the wrong choices in life and can really blame no one else but myself. I am gratefull for your suggestions and have made an appointment to see my doctor having looked on the diabetes site. I am not sure what can be done as the doctor has only dropped the steroids from 8 to 7 a day. He says they are keeping the flare ups from the copd down and that is better for me in the long run even if it means having to deal with diabetes for the short time. I think most people this far gone normally die from heart attack before anything else so I will just have to toss a coin I think.. I am trying to look at things as there isn't much I can do so accept what happens and hope that people who know and see what is happening to me will change their habits and stop smoking so they don't have to end up the same way as I did. I brought it on myself and am just glad I have a wife and people on here that I will call friends who care about me. Thank you all for you thoughts they do mean a lot to me.
  • Posted

Robert,l'm new here so bare with me please. l don't see where it tells who l am so,

l'm Bill gordon, l'm on FB as wm. Well l've had copd for 15 yrs now. l've been told l had 1 yr. left, then one time l was told 6 months if l didn't improve soon. Robert l'm still here and better than l was. My condition now is live as normal as l can and try to prevent getting sick w/any upper respitory illness .l've been high on prednizone and as l get better they reduce it very slowly to about 5 mils.and keeps me there. there are many tricks in this game,l'm like you, have been told l don't have Diabetise (year ago) but l'm close, so l just watch what l eat,l have to any way, l way 245 lbs. l'm walking 1/4 mile 2 times a week , last month l was getting from bed to table as far as l could go.Rehilbilitation was one of the best things that helped me work my way back up each time.

Hope this has helped you, would like to hear that you started improving than just waiting it out. l have some tricks you can use if interrested ,Good Luck Robert, your freind, Bill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.