I have COPD and have recently been prescibed Seretide

Posted , 4 users are following.

I want to know if anyone has any side affects from taking Seretide, I seem to have symptoms of Sjorgen's disisease, is there a connection? Help, I'm at my wit's end, have been feeling so ill the last few day

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't know whether this helps Joanne, but my GP warned me that COPD can itself develop as a result of the chronic, low-level lung inflammation caused by Sjogren's syndrome. He gave me this rather stern warning when I initially refused to use a steroid inhaler to treat the asthma that has developed since my late 60s, since I didn't think it was severe enough to warrant medication. (I do use the inhaler now.)

However, it sounds to me as if you're asking whether Seretide can cause Sjogren's, symptoms. I can't comment on that, but I would suspect not. What kind of symptoms are we talking about?

• Posted

Mmmm, I did put the symptoms, don't know what happened! extreme fatigue, dizzy, aching, bones, cramps, brainzaps, headaches, dry mouth dry skin

• Posted

Many of those symptoms could be down to Sjogren's - especially the dry mouth and skin. But how long have you had the symptoms, and how long have you been using the Seretide inhaler? I know that all steroid inhalers can cause a slightly dry mouth and throat. I have that problem myself when I use mine, but I followed the advice of someone else on these boards, and I rinse out my mouth with water (and spit it out) immediately after using the inhaler wherever possible. This seems to help.

• Posted

I have all of those symptoms with my Sjogrens now. My symptoms seem to prgress with age and of course periodic flares. I am under surveillance for my lungs. No sign of COPD but I have low oxygen when resting so I am on 2L. Have you asked your physician?
  • Posted

Hi Joanne

I have Sjogren's & COPD, and now I have bronchiectasis also. I'm in the States & am unfamiliar with seretide. I agree with Lily that much of what you describe sounds like Ss. However, a new nebulizer meds I'm on causes some serious brain/personality side effects, so who knows?

There is a COPD forum here and folks there might be more familiar with secretive. Be warned: They'll tell you to read up on the info sheet or look at the manufacturer's website for side effects.

And yes, one and all - hi Lily! - it is imperative to vigorously rinse with water, then spit out that water, after using any inhaler or nebulizer that includes steroids. Apparently thrush is not unusual in ss folks but we don't have to help it along, tee hee, as that's what eventually comes along if one doesn't rinse & spit. My new pulmonologist demonstrates a full-time gargle, lovely sound/sight experience to remember a first meeting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.