I have decided that surgery is not for me

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have had bad bunions all my life.

I have tried repeatedly to get orthotics but do not believe  they exist anymore.

I was seen at Guys a few weeks ago, told my feet were about a 4, and recommended a scarf and Atkin on both feet at the same time. I was told I needed care for a minimum of two  weeks but I live alone and no care was to be provided that I could not arrange myself . 

The full recovery period, IF nothing went wrong, looked like being a year.

No pictures or indication of what my feet were likely to look like afterwords were provided and no indication of the likely improvement or reduction in function was given.

I do not see what the advantage to me of the procedure is supposed to be.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,  I think you may have been misinformed.  I had bilateral bunions and also hammer toes on 2nd toes and another issue with another toe (6 toes in total).  One week ago I had a minimally invasive chevron and akin procedure billaterally as well as correction to 4 other toes.  I live by myself and coping has not been a problem at all.  I think this would be entirely different if you were thinking of having the invasive surgery. 

The pain is quite manageable and whilst you need to keep you feet elevated the time you have each hour to get up is more than adequate to get healthy meals and get to the bathroom etc.  You will be able to manage showering using waterproof coverings and can mobilise with full weight bearing using crutches just for stability from the day of surgery.

I had help for the first few days but didn't really need it. 

It is too early for me to know the results of my surgery, but so far I'm glad I had both feet done at the same time as the recovery is boring and I would not like to extend that.

I'd suggest you seek an opinon from Mr David Redfern (London Foot and Ankle Centre) who is, I believe, the most experienced minimally invasive foot surgeon in the UK for this procedure and has perfected a technique that does not require leaving wires protruding from the foot for a month.

Good luck!

• Posted

Rk twix - I absolutely agree. I had the same procedure as you did on Dec 8th & so far so good. Very little pain & able to move around when required. Had to keep my feet up 50 mins out of every hour. I'm so pleased I have had it done!! I had a marvelous surgeon btw. 

• Posted

Hi Sandispoon, I've been following you and am delighted that your Operation went well!  You are also incredibly positive! Keep up the good work and I hope that when I get around to the op, I'll have the same guy! smile
    • Posted

I also had Mr Redfern and its almost 3 months. He has done an amzing job, he is a genius!
    • Posted

I am aware of Mr Redfern, however I am not wealthy and can't afford the many months off work and somone to care for me for two weeks much less private surgery fees as well.

Thank you so much for your input.

• Posted

Mr Redfern does NHS work out of Brighton, maybe you could ask your GP to refer you. You know we are all just trying to help so its not very nice when you are rude in return.
    • Posted

I think probably any type of bunion surgery would not be a good idea for you unfortunately. It is a procedure that requires a positive outlook and an ability to make the best of a sometimes challenging situation. It would appear those are attributes that you would probably struggle with.  I wish you all the best anyway. 
    • Posted

Others have said that Mr Redfern does NHS work. As this is the case , you are entitled to request that you have him do your procedure on the NHS Choose and Book process. You would go through your GP for this and it is very simple to do this. I did this and chose a surgeon out of my area who has a very good reputation and who I have been very p,eased with. I also did not have any protruding wires and had had disposable stitches. Obviously this helps with healing more quickly. It was also a relatively pain free procedure or which I am very grateful
  • Posted

Thank you so much Mumbles1. You definitely won't have any regrets. Good luck and I hope you manage to do it sooner rather than later!! 😀😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.