I have diabetes mellitus

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I'm new here. Does anyone know if diabetes causes hot flashes and nightsweats?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

Yes, it's a common symptom of diabetes. I usually get the hot flushes when my bloods are too high and get cold shaky weak when they are too low. Obviously it will differ from person to person, but hot flushes is a symptom. It could also be other things that cause it but yes, it can be from diabetes very often.

I guess the docs have prescribed insulin of some description? Do you take anything before bed like a Lantus slow acting, or pills? Next time it happens, check your blood straight away. (Sorry, not teaching to suck eggs if you're not new to diabetes!). May need to review meal plans, meds or dosage etc. and maybe a chat with your doc / diabetic nurse if it's too frequent.

Wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hi, Matt. Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am on Novomix 30, twice daily, also Metformin. I don't take anything before bed. Within a couple of minutes of settling down for sleep, I have a hot flush and fling the duvet off! This happens several times throughout the night. I never get unbroken sleep. I've had diabetes since 2003 and flushes started within a year and have gone on ever since. The doctor says there's nothing to be done.

Regards....Gill

• Posted

Hi Gillian, I'm the same getting hot flushes when my sugars are up, I don't get very cold when they are low  I go 'grey around the gills' as observed by my family, I also feel as if I'm on another planet. but that's me, everyone is different.

by your question it seems that you have not been diagnosed with type 2 for very long, are you medicated in any way?

• Posted

Hi, Suzanne. I've had diabetes since 2003, and the flushes came about two years later. I'm on a cocktail of drugs for other conditions. I could never find out from my doctors about the flushes until finally, my cardiologist suggested diabetes.
  • Posted

Personally, I get them every night as well, but mine isn't always sugar related. I have anti rejection meds for a liver transplant and that causes sweats & flushes as well. It's just a pain as it's the same symptoms so I have to check my sugars just in case! Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't!! Just a thought, are you taking any meds for anything else?
  • Posted

it's definitely the diabeties, You'll find the only way to stop the flushes is to keep your sugar levels at what is normal for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.