I have diarrhea and it is taking over my life

Posted , 4 users are following.

I go through "episodes"(not sure what else to call them) where I end up having 10+ bowel movements in a day. I have had many work ups from my PCP, and my GI doctors, and it has yielded no answers or improvements. Ive been on Prilosec for GERD for a long time(over a decade), and think that might be exasperating the issues but I think that there is an underlying issue that is being missed. Any advice that could help me, would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Maybe some more details would help. How long has this been going on? Are there specific foods that are triggering these episodes? What is your diet like? What have they tested for and ruled out? Prilosec can cause diarrhea. Have you looked into C-Diff. Colitis? Try increasing your intake of probiotics like yoghurt and kefir, and fiber.

• Posted

this has been going on for about 3 years. I monitor my food intake very carefully(with an app), and have seen no patterns of certain foods making the episodes occur. My diet is far from perfect, but I try to limit the carbohydrates and do intermittent fasting with an 8 hour window in which I'm allowed to eat. Ive had pretty much every stool sample under the sun(which yielded no diagnosis), Ive had multiple colonoscopies as well as 2 upper endoscopies. Ive had many CT scans of my stomach(both with contrast and without). Negative for C-Diff, and no colitis. I take a probiotic pill, but it is a high quality one and I have taken it, at the same dose, for over a decade. No fibre currently but have tried it in the past with no improvement

• Posted

were you tested for celiac disease? i had bad episodes of diarrhea and gas for years until i figured it out. As soon as i went on complete gluten free diet i was cured! also PPI long term can mess you up. I recently gave mine up as it started to give me increased stomach pains.. doctor told me to double dose, i ignored that advice and saw rapid improvement . I had to go through a bit of reflux rebound but it wasnt too bad.. Good luck..

• Posted

I have been tested for celiac disease and it was negative. I have tried multiple elimination diets, with no improvements. I have tried to get off of the Prilosec but it causes so much chest discomfort that the longest I am able to tolerate going without it has been 5-6 days.

• Posted

What's your water intake like? How much, how often and what sort of water (there's spring, distilled, purified)?

• Posted

I drink at least a Liter of water each day. Usually a combination of filtered and carbonated seltzer water(mostly the filtered, by a ratio of about 4 to 1)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.