I have difficulty breathing when changing body position

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! I was hoping to get a new opinion on my symptoms. I am 27, female, non smoker, I have hypothyroidism, no heart or lung desease in my family. In March and April I had really strong chest pressure and difficulty breathing, accompanied with palpitations and a knot forming whenever I would lay on any of my sides. I also experienced a feeling of suffocation right behind my nose that would not allow me to breathe though my nose, but I could through my mouth. Every morning at exertion it would take me a few hours to get use to the new position as I would get chest tightness and heavy breathing. I talked to my GP and he decided to lower my levothyroxine dosage (from 50 mg to 25) and after a couple of weeks I felt a bit better. I also got an ecochardiogram and holder monitor and both came out with good results. The thing is I still get 2 of the symptoms: the occasional suffocating feeling and the heavy/slight difficulty breathing when I change position. For example if I sit on a chair and I have my upper back against the chair I feel a constraint in breathing. It's not strong, but it's there. It also happens if I'm on my back and than switch to lying on one side: I get the light constraint in breathing that lasts until my body gets used to this position. I have to mention that I sleep ok but once I wake up I start being aware of my entire upper back and chest and my breathing. also, my nose gets stuffed the minute my head touched the pillow and it take la a few minutes for one of the nostrils to release some of the pressure to allow me to breathe

My saturation is always at 98-99 (using a pulse oximiter to measure) and blood pressure within normal range. I have had a full abdominal scan in December and everything looked OK. If you could point me in the right direction or give me advise in any way I would greatly appreciate it. Nicole

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You could have bad allergies, the pollen count has been very high this year. Have you made any changes in your life like a new pet, or a new feather pillow, or a new perfume, or new cleaning products since this started happening.

The fact you started to feel a bit better when your doctor lowered the dose of your medication, would indicate it is side effects of that though. Could you ask to try a different type of thyroid medication to see if you get on better with that?

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply. there were no noticeable changes when all my symptoms started. I am not sure if allergies could make me feel worse if i'm laying down on my left side or right side or sitting up.

as far as my thyroid medication...it's the same active substance in all medication for hypothyroidism - the artificial hormones.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.