I have disrupted sleep before my period - any suggestions?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everybody, I am really trying to find a solution for this one. For the week before my period, my sleep is really disrupted. I wake up after four hours from a nightmare and with night sweats. I suffer from depression, treated with anti depressants, but about a week, before and during my period, it comes back. The worst thing is the sleep disruption . . . it's been going on for quite a while, a few years I guess. I have never used sleeping meds, but I am thinking of trying some. Does anyone else have a similar problem? I'm getting tired . . . 

You guys are so great.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi jen

i have had insomnia for 15 years or more .. 

I am age 50 .. It was all through peri meno and still here post meno 

have trouble actually falling asleep and staying asleep when i do .

i do have meds that i only take rarely when i am really shattered with it.

Alot doctors dont like giving sleeping meds as they are addictive and people become reliant on them

jay x 

• Posted

Yes I got really disrupted sleep for a couple of nights before my period. I felt really unwell. This continued when my periods stopped and occurred at the time I should have been having a period . I'm sure it's all due to hormone fluctuations 
  • Posted

Hi,

Yes I too suffer from distrubted sleep patterns before period's due...and as they have become irregular, it's not psychological, as never quite sure when they are due!

As soon as a period starts I realise why my sleep was so bad!

I too suffer from insomnia, have done for years but don't like to take any tablets.

At the mo, I'm trying Menopace Night and one 200mg magnesium citrate after meal and before bed.

Have had a few less disturbed nights, so maybe slowly working? Let's hope as I can totally empathise as to how awful and desperate you feel after 4/5 hours of contant broken sleep. It's destructive.

Doctors, generally, don't seem to understand alternative methods...that we may be lacking in important minerals or vitamins. They only seem to know about prescribing a drug.

Maybe your chemistry is unbalanced?

Have you spoken to Dr about this problem?

Perhaps get some blood tests done, if they will, to discover if you are lacking vital vits etc? J

• Posted

Thanks Janeben. It's difficult to deal the doctors. Maybe it is my iron levels, actually, as well as the hormone dip. I can always get to sleep ok. I should start trying vitamins, shouldn't I? I've been avoiding them because I have gastritis and take a lot of meds and supplements.  I worry that I won't be able to keep them down. But maybe it's okay to take vitamins with meals . . . thanks for the suggestion. I'll be on it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.