I have Diviticula Disease

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is anyone else suffering with severe bloating and pain in left side and back that has diviticula disease?  I was diagnosed last year, but I seem to be constantly in pain and bloated.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello, sorry to hear you have diverticular disease, too. I was diagnosed only three  months ago but I have left hand side pain nearly all the time which also sometimes extends to my back as well. Occasional bloating.

It's very depressing, and Paracetamol doesn't seem to help at all. However, many users of this forum have experienced similar problems which can last for weeks or months so I keep hoping one day I shall be pain free.

It's so hard to know what to do to improve the situation; everyone seems to find different things helpful. I'm sitting here writing this with a heat pack on the affected area! 

• Posted

Hello again, my problem is generally constipation (which I never suffered from before the DD) and I have been prescribed Fybogel which I take every day. I also have a spoonful of Regucol each day which is a prebiotic fibre supplement with supposedly helpful microbes.

I think these fibre supplements help regularise both diarrhoea and constipation. 

This is such a terribly un-glam disease to have 🙁.

• Posted

Many thanks, yes I know and I am only 50!

many thanks, nice to chat with you x

• Posted

Hi there,how much of the Fybogel and Regucol do you take per day and when ?Im taking  the Regucol but still am very loose.
    • Posted

Hello, I take a sachet of Fybogel in the morning and a heaped teaspoon of Regucol before supper. However, I generally have the reverse problem to you, although it does vary.

I think you can increase the Regucol to two teaspoons twice a day. 

Sometimes I think I have things under control poo-wise for a few days and then it all goes to pot again. Such a difficult disease to manage.

• Posted

Yes I think I have it under control then I get the familiar cramping and I'm rushing to the loo again,it's so frustrating.The only pain I have is the cramping associated with the runs and I've hardly ever had constipation.

• Posted

I am taking fybergel on a morning and antispasmodic 3 times before meals The fybergel seems to have stopped the diarrhoea but I still get pain before going to the loo What is regucol.
    • Posted

Regucol is a fibre supplement similar to Fybogel but is a prebiotic with some microbiotic things in it to help improve your intestinal biome.

Available from Holland and Barrett. 

• Posted

Hi Joanne

You are describing classic Diverticular Disease - pain, bloating, constipation/runs.  Were you diagnosed via a Colonoscopy and/or CT scan - these are the classic diagnostic tools as the symptoms are also very similar to IBS?  I am currently having daily symptoms varying from almost unnoticeable to uncomfortable.  But I have had the disease 16 years and once the symptoms eased up I was pain free for 6 years between flares 1 & 2, and 4 years before 2 & 3.  It is taking longer to ease up after each flare, from 1 month after flare 1 to more than 9 months this time (but I have had 3 flares since last August).

I take Fybogel daily in the morning, and if I am feeling constipated I take another sachet in the evening.  I also take pure aloe vera juice, 2 teaspoons a day.  It's revolting, but good for internal healing.  I take paracetemol for the pain and Mebeverine for the muscle cramps, when needed, plus a hot water bottle. 

I kept a food diary to work out which foods triggered my symptoms.  For me it is gluten/wheat and full fat.  Gluten is notorious for bloating so you might want to try cutting it out and/or switching to gluten free.  The pasta is OK although the bread I don't find brilliant.  We are all different and have to find what suits ourself best.  Good luck

• Posted

Exact diagnosis. We share the same disease and I agree. Been doing what surgeon recommended. Fingers crossed!
    • Posted

Hi Felicia,  thank you for your advise, I will definitely try the Aloe Vera juice, I also take fibojel daily to help.

I was diagnosed last year through having a colonoscopy after I went into hospital with left side pain and fever.

I have just about managed until now when it is really painful again, I also have terrible bloating, I have gone from Size 10 to 14! and it's all around the middle.  I was asked this week how many weeks pregnant I was!  Very upsetting as I eat so healthy and don't drink or smoke.

anyway thanks for listening, any advise on the weight gain and bloating might cheer me up!

• Posted

Hi Joanne

I'm afraid I haven't found the answer to the bloating either.  Going gluten free helped for many years but it is no longer as effective.  Are you constipated as well, as that can cause bloating?  After a recent painful bout of constipation I did something I had not done before (in fact I advised against it) and actually look Ex-Lax, which cleared out the system and after 24 hours I felt much less bloated.  But it was only a short reprieve. 

I suspect it may be related to certain foods, and the list of what I feel safe to eat is shrinking.  A lot of other people on the Forum have reported the same but we are all different as to the type of food.  Do you have problems with dairy?  Probiotics seem to help a lot of people as well.  As for the weight gain, I've joined Slimming World Online, as I needed to lose weight anyway.  It's slow progress as I have to be careful with what fibre I can eat.

Unfortunately it can take months for the symptoms to subside - that's the nature of this disease.  Best wishes.

• Posted

I do I am on wheatfree bread at the moment to see if that helps with the bloating. I have leftsided pain all the time hope you feel better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.