I have extreme paranoia around technology

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

A prevalent issue I have is a fear of some technologies. I am afraid that I talk in my sleep or to myself (bad habit developed due to lack of company maybe) and that my smartphone is recording my voice and that I'm being watched and that there's some forever file of embarrassing things, I don't even know what, waiting to be released for everyone to laugh at. I've had this paranoia and mistrust for many years. I know this might seem like a technology issue not related to mental health, as people have legitimate concerns over privacy, But I have read many articles and whatnot on how to stop modern devices 'spying' on you and all the instructions have been followed. Most all my apps have no permissions to my microphone or camera, I use no social media whatsoever, never have or will. I almost trust the companies that own the softwares and hardwares enough now -  I know I should be satisfied at that point, But I can't shake the paranoia. I can rationalise it for hours, the paranoia is always waiting at the end of it for me, and I return back to having anxiety attacks. It forces me to rebuy things in order to 'start over' which has led me into financial difficulty, at times quite seriously.

Can anyone offer any advice? I'm not sure what to say or where to turn with this, it's preventing me from fitting into the world and it's going to hold me back. Especially socially, as I'm afraid to have technologies around me now.

It sounds trivial maybe, but with all these new phones, numbers, email addresses, I'm losing contact with family who have had enough of it, and it's damaging me a lot overall.

p.s. Yes I typed this. I'm fine with other people's laptops.

thank you

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ned,

I also have fear around technology but mine is about getting hacked/a virus and financial security. 

With regards to your specific fear what is it that worries you about people "spying" on you? I found that taking to a cyber security expert really helped me and also being really knowledgeable about the tech and how it works. 

A psychiatrist will just prescribe you drugs - not address the cause 

• Posted

Hi,

thanks for the replies. I've seen medical professionals for previous but related problems, it didn't help and I'm not sure they wanted to on those occassions

Sorry about that Gabriella, I have smaller issues with hacking also which results in very long passwords. I find phones are fairly virus proof compared to PCs so it hasn't been a worry of mine for a while so maybe I cant advise there very well but happy to try.I worry that my voice is being recorded, more than anything, currently. That it's stored somewhere and that it colours me and profiles me, regardless what I've said.. Not that someone is sitting watching me, but it's all somewhere waiting to be looked at. Even though all my settings and all I've read should allow me to not even have to think about this. I might have to stop using technology just to get away from the mental problems it causes me to lose privacy.

I have to change everything to have a new start' I feel that things get 'tainted' and when that happens I have to start over.

Thanks for your thoughts anyway - I'd love to speak to an expert that's a good idea if I could find one. Even then I'd wonder if they knew the whole picture. I am becoming as knowledgable as I can, it's a gamble though whether looking into things will make me feel better or worse

• Posted

It gets worse than that. I've had people listen to every move I make by using spyware that can actually penetrate through X6 inch concrete walls and floors. I couldn't believe this equipment was available to the public. That totally ended any desire to rent another townhouse or condo again. To many wacko's that would do something like that. What a huge security and safety risk in the hands of criminals.Not to mention privacy. I've also had my landline and cellphone .tapped . Also my laptop hacked, I cover up my camera with cardboard and never use skyp. I also don't put my photo on any site. You can look up  most of these things to see how easy it is to do to someone without them ever meeting you or entering your home even. Watch who you give your phone number to that's all they need. Look up spyware and what is possible, it will amaze you. This stuff should be banned from the public.In my opinion there helping the criminals get easy access to innocent people. Only police could use this stuff before, I don't know how long the public have had access to spyware. Also you can buy spyware to see if your being spied on even from the cops. Goes both ways. Bugs, pinhole camers , micrphones ect,,ect,,..if your really worried.

• Posted

I think that this is the case for most everyone these days and to be honest I wouldn't worry too much about it.  What's the worst that could happen after all?  Ok identity theft must be horrible but doesn't happen to the vast majority of people does it?  Hackers will always go with the easiest and most lucrative options so keep your security up to date online and make it much more difficult for them.  

Unless you have any metaphorical bodies buried in your files then why would anyone bother following or spying on you?  If you were an ex spy or high up in the government or something then you might be worth bothering with!  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.