I have facing heaviness and aching in my leg, what i do to treat this problem?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have seen a some lumpy veins on the back of my leg and i rubbed it over the surface, it is feverish and swollen. Once i looked in mirror, however, I saw a long, blue, cord-like vein protruding under the skin. I am feeling some heaviness and aching in leg and couldn’t sleep on that side due to the tingling. what i do to treat this problem?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If you suffer from heaviness in the legs, swelling, throbbing, restless legs, itching and fatigue, you might have vein disease.
    • Posted

I am afraid to treat varicose vein through surgical treatment procedure. Surgical procedure is very painfully and recovery will take long time. So, I am looking for alternate method to treat the same. I am wondering, for non-surgical procedure to treat vein problem.
    • Posted

I had radio frequency ablation in just one leg. It took around twenty minutes with some sclerotherapy on some wiggly veins. I could have driven home after but decided to ask a friend. I was able to swim three days later.
  • Posted

With varicose  veins, the pain will only get worse and will began to swell, you are right surgical part is very pain full but I was forced to  Doctor said I was in danger of a blood clot  which made me change my mind, it was done in his office, took only 30 mi after it was wraped put stocking on and told to walk 45 mi before going home, gave Mobic 15 mg from swelling once a day for 10 days which I only took three days, walked 30 mi a day, wrap came off still wore stocking, it was worth it, good luck to you.
    • Posted

Did not have to remove the vein.
  • Posted

Hi John,

While the potential level of pain depends on what kind of treatment you're getting, I think it's worth it. But I can only relay what I went thtough.

First, I had the EVLT (laser) surgery to close the part of the vein that was causing problems. I was told I would get a topical anesthetic which would make my leg numb as well as a numbing agent put into the vein to keep me from feeling the laser. In my opinion, topical anesthetic wasn't enough. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being unbearable pain), I was at a 7. I wasn't crying but I was close. At first I thought they did something wrong because I was in so much pain even though they said they gave me the anesthetic. And while I'm sure the numbing agent that was put into the vein stopped me from feeling the laser, the numbing process was one of the worst parts. They gave me some squeeze balls to hold and tried to distract me with conversation but, honestly, it was all I could do to not yell at them that what I was feeling couldn't be normal. Now I realize from reading these message boards that a lot of people have had the same experience, so I wonder why they don't put more people under or offer them better relaxers (they offered me Xanax which did nothing but make me a little light-headed)?

So that's the bad news. Here's the good news. The pain during the first procedure lasted about 15 minutes (although it felt a lot longer). I was in pain for the rest of the day but (with the help of a hot water bottle and Aleve) was able to sleep well through the night. The next day I was stiff but not in pain. The day after that, I was back walking around as usual with barely any pain at all. So while the procedure itself was bad, the bounce back period was great. 

I had my second surgery (an ambulatory phlebectomy) yesterday. This surgery was way way waaaaaaay better than the first. They still gave me the numbing agent (which was still painful) but since the surgery was just on the surface of the skin, I was completely numb the whole time and felt no pain. Even after the numbing wore off, I still felt almost no pain. It's been about 24 hours now and I still don't feel anything but a bit of soreness. My leg looks horrible (lots of bruising) but that will go away in a couple weeks. 

While the first part might deter you from getting the surgery, I would tell you to focus on the end result. The pain I felt for those 15 minutes is worth not having to deal with the pain I've been dealing with for the last five years (and it will only get worse the longer you wait). Ask the doctor if you could possibly have laughing gas or something stronger than Xanax to calm and numb you (it's worth a shot). If not, just keep thinking of never having to deal with the pain or unsightliness of your varicose vein anymore.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.