I have feelings too

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone ever get sad about their AS? I’m 35 with no children, no way I can have one in the condition I’m in I don’t even think I could carry one with my back/neck/hip problems.  I’m also sad about the things I can no longer do that my friends can or what ever.  I’m going to see a therapist next week but how do you guys cope with the loss of your life especially At a young age? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You're not alone! I haven't even officially been diagnosed yet but with the pain I'm feeling every day it sure does sound like everyone else's symptoms. 

Everything just feels harder and like I don't do the same things anymore because I'm always tired or sore or feels like my back or something in my body is going to give way. 

It's affected my intimacy with my partner because I'm constantly in pain I don't want to be intimate. Getting up for work is a struggle and everyone says to me "you're too young to have back problems" and because my job can be physical it's even harder but I mean I have to earn money to pay the bills so I push through and just collapse when I get home haha.

Also I've put on about 10 kilos in the last year which has affected my confidence.  I've always been an active person and have been a size 8 and for me to jump up 2 sizes is disappointing for myself. And I know they say exercise is best but I lack motivation to do so because I'm so sore like I just want to lay and cry or try and sleep or take a hot bath

Seeing a therapist would be good I reckon or seeing if there's support groups where you can just express your sadness or anger.  

Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in feeling sadness/ anger towards AS  

• Posted

Hello dear friend, I have had AS for many years now and feel so down sometimes it's just not worth living like this...but...I had an idea recently. I started writing a book about my life since I was little.  I didn't realise at the time just how therapeutic it is. I gets out the hurts that have been hidden, it gets out the fun I have had and the love I've encountered along the road. Nobody needs to read it but you so you can say what you want to. The fingers don't work too well sometimes, nor does the brain so I get a bit dyslexic but who cares, I know what I'm talking about even though no-one else might. Get it down on paper and let your soul free. Relax into it and you will be surprised at how it helps. Love to you, hugs too. Gloria

• Posted

Hello,

I.am 38 years old and a father of 7and 8 year boys. I can't tell you.how sad I get on bad days when I hurt. I have been diagnosed with AS since 2004. I have been on remicaed for the last 7 years. If I get an infection " sinus of chest" I stop taking my I fusion until things are cleared up. But while on this drug 8 do not have any AS pain at all. I would look into this to.see if it can help you and if the side effects out w at the benefits. I hope things look up for you stay moving it will help.

• Posted

Hello,

I.am 38 years old and a father of 7and 8 year boys. I can't tell you.how sad I get on bad days when I hurt. I have been diagnosed with AS since 2004. I have been on remicaed for the last 7 years. If I get an infection " sinus of chest" I stop taking my I fusion until things are cleared up. But while on this drug 8 do not have any AS pain at all. I would look into this to.see if it can help you and if the side effects out w at the benefits. I hope things look up for you stay moving it will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.