I have fibroid. I need help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. 

Last week i got to know i have fibroid which is 3 cms. My doctor has asked me to start taking uliprestate acetate for 3 months. I ahve read several artickes which says it causes weight gain. Is the weight gain major?? I work out 3-4 tyms a week and also trying to eat healthy. Still will this medicine lead to weight gain. 

Please help

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I think the growing fibroid is more of a concern than the effect of the medication, my advice would be to take it, in my case it was effective in stopping bleeding and reducing my fibroids. The earlier you treat fibroids the better, as they can grow very rapidly - mine went from a couple of cm to 10cm + in a matter of months. I did not put on any significant weight, my main side effects were hot flushes.
  • Posted

Hi if you work out id say minimal but the refreshing relief of no periods for 3 months. Hot flushes do occur i took my tablets in the evening which helped me. Good luck with what you decide. Ive come off esyma after a year of on 3 off 2 months and have bled for 24 days not sure what i should do next. Good luck with your decision and i hope your fibroid shrinks. Mine did but it started out 13x10 but shrunk a couple of cm
  • Posted

Whilst eating healthily is always a good idea, don't rely on the fact that the 'recommended' foods will shrink or remove the fibroids, they might at best slow down the growth. You would have to eat bucketloads of the foods to obtain enough of the beneficial ingredients to have an effect - for instance cruciferous veg contain DIM which is thought to be helpful, but in reality they contain very small amounts. I took DIM supplements and also milk thistle, both of these I'm sure have been beneficial. 

I used to take ground flax seeds daily as they contain phytoestrogens but during that period my fibroids grew rapidly, now there is a lot of contradictory advice about whether phytoestrogens are helpful or not in controlling oestrogen levels so I though it best to avoid them. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.