I have found a lump on my thyroid.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Around 3 weeks ago a accidently found a small lump on my thyroid. My mum suffers from hypothyroidism but she never had a growth. I've had my bloods check and my function is fine. I'm booked in for an ultrasound on the 8th of June but I'm worried sick about it. The lump has gotten bigger in the last 3 weeks. What could it be?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It's good that you have a ultrasound scheduled, but try not to worry. Goiters are very common and are most often benign. Some like mine have no fluid and they will have to take a tissue sample to determine if it is benign and others have fluid and they can drain the fluid and test the fluid, again try not to worry and God Bless.

• Posted

So would they do this test on the day of the ultrasound or another date? And will I find out on the 8th what it is? Don't want to be sent home to wait for a result.

• Posted

They generally don't do the biopsy on the same day as the ultra sound, more than likely it will be scheduled at a later date. The ultra sound is usually sent to your doctor and your doctor will let you you know if it is a goiter and what the next step is.

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

I'm in the same boat - although I have had symptoms - my tsh is 'normal' at 3.38 (last time is was checked 10 years ago was 2.07!). I too have a lump which feels like an enlarged node - and am waiting for my ultrasound date (hospital told me  it will be very late June early July as I am not classed as an urgent referral). However your doctor has got you in for an appointment super quick- so you haven't got long to wait.  Try not to worry - you haven't ignored your lump - and that's a good thing! Let me know how it goes (and then I'll have an idea what they do!) 

• Posted

Hi Kirsty, don't worry it's probably a goitre, the ultrasound scan will show it up. Did your GP also ask for FNA? Probably not. If not then it will solely be a scan of the area & they will report to your GP with the findings.

With your family history of hypothyroidism I would ask to have TFTs done on a regular basis esp if you are diagnosed with a goitre.

Looking back, I can see where I had episodes of Graves Disease that were not picked up over the years. It can go into remission & that had been happening since roughly the 1980s. My GP picked up the end of one in 1999, when I was finally diagnosed with Pernicious Anaemia. Where my TSH was normal & T3 just on the highest end of normal. She re tested a week later & bloods showed all within normal ranges. She predicted I would be eventually diagnosed with a Thyroid condition & to have regular blood tests. But you know what it's like, she left the area & I was busy!!

In 2011 I found a lump in my neck & everything fell into place! Diagnosis Graves Disease with Multi Nodular Goitre.

My best advice, regular blood tests (esp TFT), even if you are well within the 'normal range' now, things can change rapidly. Thyroid conditions are easily treated but can leave you feeling really low until treated! The trouble i found was the onset wasn't sudden, it crept up on me until in hindsight I saw that a lot of the time when I had an awful headache & felt unwell it actually was a Graves episode.

Where I worked it turned out 2 of us had Graves & 1 had Hashimotos! Odd eh?? It was only a small family run practice!!

I wish you well & let us know how it goes on the 8th.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

So I'm just back from my ultrasound and I'm still quite confused. I have both a large cyst with a nodule beside it. The doctor said the cyst could be drained if I want it to be. But when I asked about the nodule he said I'd need to phone my doctor in the next 7 days to get the results. Don't feel anymore relaxed. Do they biopsy all nodules or not?

• Posted

Hi Kirsty, they usually only biopsy nodules of a certain size. My nodule was the size that they require a biopsy. My biopsy was a while ago so I don't remember the actual size, but the smaller ones usually do not have to be biopsied. Remember these nodules are MOST often benign, so try not to worry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.