I have Frozen shoulder and can't get through PT w/o ending in tears from the pain. Is that normal?

Posted , 23 users are following.

I was diagnosed a couple months ago. Got a steroid shot which didn't help. Doing I intensive physical therapy but is it normal to be brought to the point of tears and feeling like I'm going to pass out? It's like I'm being stabbed with a knife in my shoulder over and over. Should I find a better physical therapist or is this normal?

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Have a look at this thread and others on here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/orthopedic-surgeon-said-do-not-do-physical-therapy-in-painful-stage-makes-worse--510090

Yes, opinions may vary but I strongly disagree with the idea of "no pain no gain" and thnk it may do more harm than good - as do many experts.  I am 95% recovered without resorting to painful physiotherapy.  Your body needs to heal and I strongly belive that stretching inlamed tissue to the point of pain may make this process longer.  Read up and decide for yourself - but this is far from the only way though this awful condition.  Good luck!

• Posted

I went to pt for my fs and even though at times individual excercises hurt to the point where I need a break after a quick drink and a stretch I was good. Also I always left pt feeling good and slightly more streached out. FYI I am a wimp and even though my stretching excercises were sometimes uncomfortable they were never painful. In full disclosure after my mua they did tell me to take my meds before going to pt and I always did. Sounds like your pt is pushing you too hard and you should either talk to them or switch.
  • Posted

I had the same reaction. I almost passed out the last time I was having therapy, so I never went back. It only took time before it healed on it's own. With the second ffrozen shoulder, I never went to therapy and healed just as well without all the pain of therapy. I have a frozen hip now and the doctor recommended an osteopath. Will be having my first appointment next week.

• Posted

How long did it take to heal on its own?  Thanks for your time, and good luck with your hip.
    • Posted

Hi Dianelea,

Hope you are doing much better with your frozen hip.

Im suffering with a frozen hip since 4 years ago, not able to walk on my own need of assistence all the time.

I had surgery 3 months ago but I still hace the same pain and not exterior rotation and limited flexion.

Wondering how are you doing and if you would have some advice from your doctors.

I already did many kinds of therapy without results. Im very frustrated hoping for a miracle.

Thanks a lot and sending all my best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi Amy729:

You are completely correct to be distinguishing between the normal pain you've had in the past, and the kind of ineffective & senseless pain you've experienced with this particular PT. There is no professional literature to support this approach to FS (anyone?) It is not helpful, and I believe will only prolong the healing process. I stopped this sort of aggressive therapy after reading lots of posts on this forum (that was last Nov.) It was only after stopping that I started to heal. Like others have said, I continued to use my arm as 'normally' as possible, even though it was quite stuck. I didn't go to another PT until I was thawing; a much healthier experience with far more FS expertise & professionalism, supported by literature. 

Like yours, my first steroid shot was not effective either, I was told later, because the tissue was too thickened by then & it wasn't by guided assist. Subsequent shots were much better, guided & during thawing.

Sounds like you are in the most painful part of FS, while your shoulder is freezing. I'm so sorry - it's lots of pain and sleepless nights sad You are on the right track to be searching for information. Be kind to your shoulder - use lots of heat, pillows, pain management, and the advice from this forum that fits you best. 

Liane

• Posted

I'm surprised to read that so many have gotten steroid injections. Both doctors I saw advised against them. I was around 50 at the time and was told I was too young. There are quite a few possible negative side effects, I assume at any age,

Complications of cortisone shots can include:

Joint infection

Nerve damage

Thinning of skin and soft tissue around the injection site

Temporary flare of pain and inflammation in the joint

Tendon weakening or rupture

Thinning of nearby bone (osteoporosis)

Whitening or lightening of the skin around the injection site

Death of nearby bone (osteonecrosis)

Temporary increase in blood sugar

• Posted

I was minded to take things entirely naturally but the twinges in my good shoulder had me terrified that I'd end up with 2 frozen shoulders, which wasn't an inviting prospect.  The physio that I'd seen had recommended hydrodilatation (with saline and cosrtisone) - which had worked wonders for his own mother!  I decided this was the least invasive of treatments, though I was still very aprehensive, as no procedure is without some risk.  What it did for me was to stop the pain and the ROM came back gradually after.  Above all, I was able to sleep again - my mental and physical heath had been shattered through months of pain and lack of sleep. A good night's sleep helps our body get over all sorts of problems.  I know this procedure doesn't seem to work for everyone but it was a milestone in my recovery.

• Posted

I'm about 50 also and had two steroid shots. The first did nothing and if anything the second made it worse. Also during my mua they gave me a third. Hopefully I will have no negative permanent side effects. The mua did really help with pain and rom

• Posted

Some of the complications you mention are from doing it incorrectly, without imagery. or from doing too many, too close together. I was happy to have a second opinion, with my doctor & PT both recommending cortisone within limits.

It does seem like timing is everything with cortisone & FS, so that was perhaps a factor with your doctors too.  

• Posted

Everyone says they are having PT and it hurts. The question is what treatment are you having. The trouble is that most patients diagnosed with FS dont have it but are treated for it. If you do have it the best time to have treatment is when the thawing stage is well under way. You can go the heroic way and have manips or surgery.  It is my experience that a very tight capsule makes the joint like a hinge whereas a normal glenohumeral joint roll and glides and spins so it is not like any other joint. The treatment for joint capsule tightness in the shoulder I have found out the hard way is to have the gliding and rolling restored first. This I have had done and it entails having the head of the humerus rythmically glided backwards and forwards and out and down. If your elbow leaves the side of your chest then your therapist is not doing it properly. As things progress then the elbow can be moved away a few inches and the same movements done. The therapist can  move the joint within the pain range. Make sure you get a PT who knows what to do. Nowadays get your partner to go with you and video tape on your phone the proceedure and they can do it at home, a few minutes a few times a day, and save money!
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

Isn't frozen shoulder a major bummer?! I tried physical therapy as well and went about 4-5 times before I was asking myself the same question that you are...it was really painful and I was wiped out afterwards when I got home.  In the end, I concluded that, for me, pain shouldn't be part of the process so I stopped all PT and went to massage for a few months.  I eventually stopped that too as I wasn't seeing increased flexibility from that either and t was also painful.  After reading a lot and thinking through it, I decided to stop all formal FS interventions and let it heal on its own (while keeping up exercise to keep my mood and energy up). After about 10 months, I can say happily that I am nearly back to normal with about 90% of my mobility back and it's continuing to get better.  It was very scary to decide that I was not going to do anything (except for taking vitamins which was helpful) because I worried I was going to ruin my chances at recovery and future mobility...but  it has gone away on its own.  I believe it's a cyclical thing and that somehow it just needs to go through the various cycles and forcing things didn't work for me.  So I let it do its thing and I'm about all the way through it.

I promise it does get better and once you are through the pain phase of it, it's much easier to forget about it and get on with the rest of your life while it heals...good luck and trust your gut about what is right for you!

• Posted

Hi Amy,

In my opinion, frozen shoulder is a process of freezing and unfreezing with corresponding intense pain which is the most painful at about 6 months in.  I endured physical therapy for my first frozen shoulder and like you I was in tears and screaming during each PT session.  I needed pain killers after each session and lost alot of time off work for the PT and aftermath.  During the second frozen shoulder about 2 years later, I elected to do the exercises I had learned in PT the first go around and managed the amount of pain to inflict upon myself.  The time frame of recovery for each Frozen Shoulder was about the same, but the second go around was much more managable.  I also used massage & acupuncture which was very effective in calming the body's response to the pain.  Good luck to you 

• Posted

I have been receiving pt for last 8 weeks after dislocation of shoulder then developing frozen shoulder.I have got to admit physio is still really painful and I do not blame you for nearly being in tears.if I am being honest my range of motion hasnt moved on an awful lot.I think it is going to be a while yet although I work in construction and I am self employed.got to get back to work as it has been 16 weeks but need both arms.good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.