I have FTD

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a 50 year old woman from Oklahoma, USA, diagnosed with FTD 2 yrs ago. Most posts I see about FTD are from caregivers. I'd like to connect with people who have the disease, to have someone to share the frustrations and fears and, yes, even the humorous aspects. Is there anyone out there?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hope you can find someone to help with this, Tracy. The trouble is, it's a comparatively rare condition and I doubt whether there are a lot of sufferers out there who would see your post on this forum. Have you tried googling the Association for Frontotemporal Degeneration? I see they're US based, and offer support for sufferers as well as carers.
  • Posted

Hi Tracy, I'm very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My mother passed away 8 years ago with Pick's disease(FTD) she was 60 yrs old. We were hoping it was a one off but sadly it's the hereditary type because my eldest sister who is 48 now has been showing signs of it for about 3 years. I've been to see a neurologist because I was getting wierd feelings in my head but I also have nasal problems, a pulsating throbbing sensation behind my nose after I was kicked by a horse 10 years ago. But as you can imagine I worry about ftd. My mother was adopted as a child as her mother passed away when she was a baby but her side of the family were clear of the faulty gene but her father who we have no history of moved from the UK to Australia but can't be traced. But he must be the carrier. Do you get wierd head feelings? I'm having a genetic test soon. xx
  • Posted

Hello. Are you still available to chat?
    • Posted

Hi Jo, I dont think she is, but I am if you want.
    • Posted

Hello

Do you have FTD please. I am terribly  afraid and not functioning. Been misdiagnosed for 17 years. Are you in the uk?

Thank you 

Jo

• Posted

Hi Jo, I'm sorry to hear your concern. I am going through the genetic counselling at the moment because of the familial dementia that runs in my family then I will go for the blood test to see if I carry the faulty gene. You say you've been suffering for 17 years? That sounds a bit too long for it to be dementia, have you been to a doctor?

• Posted

Yes I'm in Wales.

• Posted

Yes

Seen many doctors and psychiatrists etc through the years to no avail. Always diagnosed with extreme anxiety and depression. I have had remissions through the years of varying lengths. I have been deteriorating every day for the last 11 months and am struggling to speak now and keep repeating the same sentences. Also struggling to behave appropriately as nothing feels real.

Have you had a family member with this? Thanks Jo

• Posted

Yes, my mother had frontotemporal dementia and died 10 years ago at the age of 60 and now my eldest sister is suffering from it she's just turned 50 but has shown signs of it for about 5 years. Have you had an MRI scan?

• Posted

So sorry to hear your sad news. Yes I had an MRI two weeks ago which I have had differing  opinions on. Sorry to ask but did your Mum have periods of remission of her symptoms for up to a year? Thank you for chatting with me  and I wish you all the best

• Posted

Have you had any involvement with an Admiral Nurse?
    • Posted

Thank you, I can't recall she had remission of her symptoms but the doctor though she had menopause or a thyroid problem, we'd seen a change in her personality when she was about 45 years old but she was diagnosed at the age of 50, she had an mri scan then which showed the problem clearly.

• Posted

My sisters daughter is in contact with a Admiral nurse, she visits her frequently.
    • Posted

May I ask if you have any other symptoms apart from speaking and behavioral problems? Just asking as I`m very much worried about dementia too. And like you had periods or remission for a year or longer. But then each time I relapsed the symptoms were a lot worse and now I`m stuck for 3 years in a fog, with worsening concentration, multi tasking becoming more difficult, loud noises becoming intolerable , problems finding the right words at times etc. Looking back over the years I had at least 4 episodes like this and each of them worse then the previous one.
  • Posted

Hi. My sister died at the age of 46 with FTD 20 yrs ago at the age of 47. Her daughter my neice died 2 years ago at the age of 47 with FTD. Mu neices daughter has been genetically tested and she has the gene she is 27. My own daughter has physical symptoms like my sister and has been diagnosed as having dystonia shes 35. Could i be a carrier of FTD but have no symptoms I'm 64.

• Posted

Hi Gillian, I doubt that you could be a carrier without the symptoms, but it's very strange that your daughter has symptoms, why don't you get genetically tested? Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.