I have fully recovered from PMR - there is hope after all

Posted , 24 users are following.

I just wanted to let everyone know that after five and a half years I have eventually made a full recovery from PMR.  This forum was the most helpful part of my journey - the encouragement, shared knowledge and advice (especially on reducing prednisone dosage) was a lifesaver. I even introduced my GP to this site. Thank you sincerely, fellow sufferers.

?I was diagnosed at age 58 and seemed to get it rather severely but now it has gone without a trace,  I haven't lost any muscle strength, and my energy levels are back to normal.

?My PMR began suddenly one month after my mother died of cancer ( I cared for her at home while working full time and also looking after my husband who had torn his quadriceps tendons from his kneecap and was on crutches). My mother died in January, I had a flu jab in the first week of February, and in the second week of February I found one morning that I couldn't get out of bed without help.  What caused the PMR? Take your pick!  Both stress and flu vaccination together would be  my guess, but there's no way of knowing.

?For those of you who are having trouble reducing prednisone, don't despair!  I always took as low a dose as I could bear - always lived with a fair amount of pain because I was conscious of the side effects of the drugs. Halfway through I got stuck on 10 mg and thought I would be on it for life, but then slowly I reduced until I got stuck on 4 mg for about 3 months.  After that I reduced slowly, slowly as advised in this forum until after 5 years I could feel the PMR starting to let go of its stranglehold. 

?At the end I was actually taking half a mg every second day - nibbling a bit off a 1 mg tablet and saving the remainder for two days later.  After a fortnight I thought it was too ridiculous for words, so I stopped taking any medication.  Believe it or not, the rotten PMR flared up quite severely as if it was saying 'Hey - I was using that!'  I refused to go back onto prednisone because I'd have had to take a higher dose, so I persevered with the pain until it eventually dissipated and I returned to my old self.  I still can't do a full leg squat, but maybe that's old age working against me at 65!!

?It's a wonderful thing to be able to do the things that I couldn't do for 5 years.  I can use my heavy cast iron casserole dish because I can actually lift it out of the cupboard now.  I can wear a t-shirt because I know I can get it off by myself.  I can try  on new outfits  and new bras without help, and I can dry myself properly after a shower because I can swing my arms above my head.  No longer do I have to fall onto the bed after work to have a nanna nap, and I can enjoy a brisk walk and even my bicycle is getting used again.

?The only advice I can give to anyone who is newly diagnosed is don't push yourself to do stuff that you used to do.  You need to rest, accept your limitations, and look after yourself.   After years of swimming through treacle, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

12 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you, wonderful and so inspirational to hear a success story.
  • Posted

Well done! Long may it last.

But can I just say - I can do all those things you say you couldn't do for the 5 years of PMR. Because I don't compromise and have always taken the dose of pred I need. I had PMR for 5 years with no pred - and couldn't do those things. There is no way i'm going back to that if I don't need to.

• Posted

Eileen, I hear what you're saying.  I made my PMR experience harder than it needed to be because I took as little medication as I could stand.  I felt that I was 'too young' to suffer the ill effects of the prednisone on my bones etc, so was a bit of martyr. rolleyes

?However, I have promised myself that if it returns I will not go through that discomfort again - second time around I would take as much medication as required to live normally.

?I have had some bone degeneration, but I don't fall into the osteoporosis category or anything that drastic.

?This condition is a horrible thing, and it must be nightmarish for people who develop it in their seventies and eighties.  It's totally consuming.

• Posted

Good to hear a success story ...congrats and thanks for sharing. 
  • Posted

Very happy for you that you are finished your "slow" reduction and are now "pill-less" for your PMR and feeling so much better.

I'm sure that Eileen will correct me - but I understand that there is no permanent 'cure' for PMR - one goes into remission and hopefully it does not return.

Eileen - is this correct ? and what is the typical chance of the remission failing and the PMR returning ?

• Posted

Yes, it's an ever present cloud hanging over our heads, isn't it.  I have never heard any statistics on repeat occurrences.  I did read once that if you got a really strong dose of PMR fist time around you had a lesser chance of it returning, but maybe that's just being hopeful.

• Posted

Not sure of the figures - some doctors say about 5% relapse after reaching zero pred, others say it is more. On the forums I know about half a dozen who have had 2 or more episodes, and each totally different: different symptoms, different response to pred and different journey to remission! Then there are the ones like me, also about 5%, who never get off pred. I have had flares every few years - so it is impossible to know if I could have got to zero in between had I reduced faster. But I refuse to be in pain - I take what I need to be able to function well. But it is fairly common for someone to stop pred and within 4 or 5 months the tell-tale symptoms are back. Is that a real relapse or is that a case of you got off pred when the disease was very inactive and then it woke up again, it takes some time to get to the stage you exhibit symptoms. It is fairly well accepted that the activity cycles - greater for a time and then falling off before rising again, like a sine curve. And there really do appear to be 3 or 4 different version of PMR - in the same way there are different sorts of MS.

One or two have commented that they were under stress before their relapse - it pays to be a Precious Princess as one of my friends says! 

• Posted

Wow !

That is awesome ! Congratulations on the most wonderful milestone !

I am new to this illness and it is so wonderful to hear your positive story, there is hope !

Thank-you for sharing ! 

Smiles

• Posted

I am so pleased for you. This is just the news I needed today. Good to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thank-you for sharing.
  • Posted

Congratulations!! May it never return. 🍀

Thanks for sharing the good news!

• Posted

Neralie

I really enjoyed your inspirational story. So cheery & charming and I love a happy ending.  

• Posted

I am so happy for you Neralie, it must be a wonderful feeling after 5yrs. Lovely story. And good luck now your are PMR free.
  • Posted

Such an inspirational story. Good luck for the future! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.