I have GERD

Posted , 5 users are following.

Am having a flare up.  Lots of mucous, burping, burning in throat.  Am on 40mg of tetra.  Had a endoscopy in June and was told I didn't have to go back for another 3 years.  Not sore what triggered it.  It might have been a pepsie I had.  Went to the re last eve it was so bad.  Did some blood tests, ECG, everything was fine.  This is driving me crazy.  Any advice from fellow suffers.  Can anyone explain the mucous build up?

thks

lynda

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The buildup is a defense mevhanism the body uses to protect the throat and other areas of the upper tract from the reflux. These areas are more sensitive to the reflux than lets say the rest of the food pipe. They become inflammed with the least bit of reflux. Wheezing,coughing,sensation of lump in throat,red and swollen with burning sensation are all symptoms of the reflux making its way in to the throat,voice box and bronchial regions.And yeah soft drinks can set it off especially if you drink them regularly. They along with xoffee did me.
  • Posted

Hi.

Not sure why you're on tetracycline. I would have expected you to have been prescribed a proton pump inhibitor to reduce the acid.

It does sound like the reflux element is your worst problem. If anything travelling up from the stomach into the oesophagus tube breaches the uppoer oesophageal sphincter, it irritates the respiratory linings which respons by producing excess mucous as a protection.

You will need to reduce your reflux by some lifestyle changes.

Lose weight if applicable, avoid tight clothing. Do not overfill your stomach - eat little and often. Leave at least 3 hours between your last meal and going to bed and raise the head of your bed by 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

• Posted

Thks for responding.  I misspoke.  I am on tectra, which is a proton pump inhibitor.  Thanks for explaining about the mucous.

lynda

• Posted

Was just looking on mayo clinic website and tetracycline is listed as one drug that can really irritate gerd/gord. She needs a ppi not tetracycline.According to mayo if I am not misreading the statements,this among other drugs can set off reflux in otherwise healthy people who do not have gerd/gord.
    • Posted

She said it was mis-typed. She's not on tetra but tectra. That's pantoprazole not tetracycline.
  • Posted

Hi Lynda

I Googled the name and found out it was also under the name Pantoprazole. More people will be familiar with this name. I was on it it for some time but now it doesn't go well with my heart medication. I am on Lansoprazole, but as you will find, these don't work all the time. I supplement it with Gaviscon Advance when the pain becomes unbrearable. Another thing you can try is a small amount of bicaronate of soda in a drop if warm water and sip it slowly. Sometimes this will make you burp and give some relief. Try and identify the foods which start you off (easier said than done) as sometimes it just doesn't happen and other times it does). As Barratts said, eat small meals often rather than a big meal and no tight clothes, Hope all the info will help you cope with it. It is NOT fun, I know.

Regards, Val.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.