I have had 5 hip surgeries for labrum tears new MRI Arthrogram shows acetabular retroversion

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 24 year old woman and I have had a total of 5 hip surgeries over the course of a several years 2009-2017. When I was 16 I was first daignosed with a labrum tear right hip, had that repaired. Still had symptoms and started in left hip as well. My initial surgeon had left the practice and so I traveled 3 hours to and from Long Island ny to Connecticut to another hip arthroscopy specializing in hips. I was diagnosed in January 2010 with two new tears one on the left and one on the right. So in feb. I had my left hip done: labrum repair and soas tendon release. Followed a few months later same surgery on the right. But I still continued to have symptoms of pain, clicking and locking plus swelling. I then found Dr. Neri who once again repaired my labrum on each side and fixed an FAI type impingement on each side in 2014. I was somewhat better for a little over 1 and a half years and I still had pain just not as bad. But over the years my pain got worse so I went back to my most recent surgeon and I just had another MRI arthrogram that showed a re-tear of the labrum and acetabular retroversion of the superior aspect of the acetabulum. I'm going tomorrow to discuss my results and will probably get imaging done of my right side. I have done pretty much everything arthroscopically possible and saw a surgery called PAO surgery. Has anyone had it and had good results? Is this my last option? My Dad's sister also just got diagnosed with hip dysplasia. If that matters I don't know. But I'm scared and have been living in agony for a long time and am looking for a solution.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Do you think you have hip dysplasia too? Is there any update about your hip?
    • Posted

Yes when I saw my last surgeon he said that is what acetabular retroversion was. I'm seeing Dr. Sink at HSS in NYC on the 27th I've already had all the imaging done so I have a feeling it's going to be a surgery consult for PAO. It's basically my last hope, I'm in so much pain all the time. I need my life back

• Posted

My PAO surgery is penciled in for aug. 10th so wish me luck!
  • Posted

Hi Jenna - I've just been diagnosed with a labral tear - the thought of having 5 is terrifying! Is there anything that caused the re-tear/multiple tears? I hope your pain gets sorted soon!

• Posted

I have hip dysplasia that has gone undiagnosed so that was the underlying cause of all my tears. I have had my soas tendon released on both sides and I also had FAI corrected on both hips but still gettin re-tears and the pain just persistently got worse since my last surgery in 2014. I had another MRI arthrogram done and showed another re-tear. I actually found out myself that I has dysplastic hips. It has been noted on all of my scans so if you can see your results look for acetabular retroversion or antroversion. Most doctors are not knowledgeable about hip dysplasia and its direct correlation with osteoarthritis and needing a hip replacement surgery earlier in life. I'm having PAO surgery at HSS by Dr. Sink, wouldn't hurt for you to go and get an opinion from a doctor who specializes in hip preservation. Hope all goes well with you. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi did you have the surgery yet?   How is the recovery going?  I also retore my labrum and am a candidate for PAO.    I was wondering if you knew if the surgeon can repair the torn labrum at the same time as the PAO especially since it's a retear?   Are you getting both hips done?   Sorry for all the questions but just want to know what I'm getting myself into.   Any advice would be appreciated.  

• Posted

Hi - yes I am currently 2 weeks post op. Only 1 hip done as other side is done as far as I know! 

I had a repair not a reconstruction but I did know that was an option, but it wasn't available to me. 

So far the recovery has been fine, painful for a few days but I'm now walking unaided normally in the house and using 1 crutch out and about. The stitches are being removed soon and I will be starting physio as well. I'm almost at normal flexibility/movement already. Everyone is different though, depending on what you have done and how they recommend you recover (some surgeons say no weight bearing - mine said full as soon as possible). 

Hope it all goes well for you!

• Posted

Thank you for this great information. I hope you get well soon.  I was wondering do you think one can work from home a week or two after the surgery?  My work is mostly computer based.   

Also did you get your Labrum repair at the same time as the PAO procedure?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.