I have had a catheter for 1 month

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a TURP operation on 15/10 and should have been a minor operation with a 2-3 day stay in hospital. It must have been a blooded operation as I was in hospital for 5 days and released on sunday 19/10. That night at 11 pm I could not urinate and had a blackout falling on the toilet tiled floor,Luckily no major injuries. I was rushed to hospital and kept for 5 hours and they did not put a catheter and was released with laxatives and seposetories as the doctors assumed that blocked bowels were causing me not to urinate.After 8 further painfull hrs of not been able to urinate and the urine pumping back up the bladder causing nausea and dizziness I went back to the hospital and this time they put a catheter which unblocked a blood clot releasing 700mls og urine,blood etc. I was kept for 24 hrs and released with a catheter. I have had the catheter for over 1 month and are due to go back to the hospital to remove it and hopefully all will be OK. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Wow! What a horrifying experience. You have my sympathy Peter. I'd be inclined to change at least my urologist and maybe my hospital. This seems to be a poorly done TURP. I'd have thought that at the very least they ought to have put in a catheter when you went in on the 19th/20th Oct.

I had a  laser TURP so my experience is not comparable, and your experience is evidence I was probably right to go for the laser alternative. Others here will have had your type of op and will have a better awareness of what is usual, but your experience does read like it wasn't done right.

Best wishes, Ian

• Posted

Hi Ian

Many thanks for your comment, I wish I had known about TURP using Laser, I probably would have requested it especially since I take aspirin  to thin the blood and prevent blood clots. Although I am not sure whether this is available on the NHS and that it would have to be done privately.Regards Peter

• Posted

I can quite believe it. I was passing blood for over a month and getting very concerned about it. At 6am in the morning I was rushed to hospital because i wasnt able to urinate. They fitted a catheter  and sent me home. Had a ct scan and they discovered a Bladder stone quite a large one. I went in to have it removed and they said they would open up the passage by the Prostrate at the same time.

i came round in the recvery room attached to various pipes. i was told this is irrigation and id need to stay two or three days. then they said unfortunatly we dont have a bed at the moment.pipes all disconnected and 4 hours later back to the day surgery ward. joined three others in a similar situation. got might staff to come in to keep the ward open.Next day still bleeding and with a catherter was told i was going home due to lack of beds. Flow stopped at least 12 times due to blood clots and eventualy stopped passing blood after two weeks. recent blood tests show in anemic and low on patasium. cant blame the nurses but the influx of some 12,000 nepalese hasnt helped. for those we dont know. Any nepalese who were in the Gurka regiment have a legal right to live in the UK with thier extended families.The reality is they cant speak english. dont under stand the british way of life and struggle considerably not very well organised. lot of presurere on schools,surgeries and hospitals. This is one of the raons imigration has to be dealt with.

• Posted

Hi Peter

I am sorry to hear of the considerable pain and discomfort that you also had. I am afraid I put a lot of the blame to the way the NHS is run, the lack of funding by the government, staff overworked, hasty and dangerous decisions been made influenced by shortage of beds and staff. Hope you get better. Regards Peter

• Posted

Peter;  I truly feel for you and am really sorry you have had to go thru all this pain and misery.  I now would classify myself as someone who will not get a "turp".  Only as an absolute "last resort".  The thought of it really scares me.  Good Luck to you. 
    • Posted

Hi Chuck. If you need the operation than you must have it, there is a TURP using Lasers with only 1 day in hospital and with less side effects and issues but I am not sure whether you can get this on NHS. Part of my problems was due to having aspirins which thinned the blood and despite not taking any 1 week before operation, perhaps they should have instructed me to not have any aspirin for probably 2 weeks. Regards Peter
  • Posted

I'm having a TURP (Soon ) and hope it goes better than it did for you,

I hope things get better for you.

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

Hi Howard

Hopefully all will be OK with you it is a routine operation with a 2-3 day stay in hospital. Unfortunately I am on aspirin and although I stopped having them one week prior to operation as advised by the pre-operation check up, I must have bled a lot and did not stop for a while and was released too early even though I was 5 days in hospital and the blood caused the blood clot in the urethra and hence inability to urinate. Key thing make sure the catheter is clear of blood ie no pink colour before they take it off and before you go home make sure you can urinate 3 times in a bottle and check the volume and colour before you go home.The alternative is TURP using Lasers but I am not sure whether you can get this on NHS. All the very best Peter

• Posted

I'm having a TURP (Soon ) and hope it goes better than it did for you,

I hope things get better for you.

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

Hi Howard

Just an update I have had the catheter removed to-day (after 1 month with it), I have passed urine 3 times(Yepee) so far to-day and a bladder scan showed only 35 ml remaining ,which is good. The flow was very fast like a pressurised hose. So far so good.

I am still not sure whether I would have gone through this if I had known the stress, pain and discomfort of the TURP operation. I have done some research and there are 2 other operations which appear to be better and less side effects, a TURis (uses electric current instead of thermal heat) and a method using Lasers. Hope all goes well with your operation. Regards Peter

• Posted

Great news peter, I'm going in for my Turp tomorrow ( they booked me in for two nights) it will be nice to get some decent food....LOL.

I will keep you informed as to how I get on. Thank you very much for the updaterazz.

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

12 months ago i was told i had 12 months to live. i was devastaed and went down hill. Some how or anther i got threw it. Ive been on abritorone for 18 months.its £900 a week and my last three scans show the cancer has shrunk right back and no new growths. the probmem comes from the side effects of the treatment. Lymodema, swelling of the legs with fluid.comes from damage to the lymth gads from radiation treatment. diabetes 2 as a result of the steriods you need to take.and higher blood pressure.

Bladder stones are created by retension of urine in the bladder

None of this you have any control over.

The abiterone can cause problems with other medication anti biotics etc

In reality if you want to stay alive do you accept it or not.im sure that even 5 years ago i would be dead by now.

I have spoken to a number of people who werent able to tolerate Abitorone but fom my point of view its kept me alive.

The moral of the story is some times there realy are no choices. other than to die.dont think about today think  about tommorrow.

Peter

• Posted

Congratulations Peter for overcoming that initial traumatic prognosis. I too had a similar prediction (weeks, or a couple of months, the three experts said) in 1007. But like you, I didn't fancy the option of dying.
    • Posted

Hi Peter

A very horryfying experience and it appears you have got through it, well done. Yes you are right sometimes we do not have a choice, I lost my brother in law diagnosed with a large brain tumour he was given 2 months to live he fought hard but died 9 months later. Sometimes we do have a choice if NHS gives us the information,the choice and the service, for example If I was aware of TURP laser treatment and it was available on NHS I certainly would have opted for it especially with my thin blood problem. Kind regards Peter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.