I have had a hydrocele for about three years.

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have had a hydrocele for about three years.

But now I am supposed to be getting it removed sometime this month.

It has caused me a lot of problems and are very annoying when they are there.I'm glad to be getting it removed and cannot wait so i can run and do sports like i used to without a tremendous amount of discomfort !

Wish me luck !

And I wanted to know are you still fertile after the operation ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

As far as i know you are. The surgeon told me that there is a risk of damage to testes but that it's very very rare.

I had a hydrocele repair last friday (30th november) and it's been ok so far, the discomfort and pain is almost gone now (was -very- uncomfortable the first few days, though). Only problem is i'm now on antibiotics as there is a possible infection and part of the wound is still bleeding (not a lot, but it's still worrying). I'm gonna make a full post on my experience of it all when the wounds healed up.

• Posted

:D Thanks You have made me a lot less worried now.

Thats good to hear that you are recovering well

Is the pain bad ?Can you walk and do other things ?

are your testcles back to normal size now ?

:?

• Posted

The pain is almost gone for me now, six days after the op. It was fairly bad the first night after the op but they kept me in overnight and gave me fairly strong painkillers so it wasn't so bad. The bleeding (mild seepage really) is worrying me but i saw my GP today and he thinks it's ok, likely just one stitch is too tight and preventing a small part of the wound from healing fully. They should start dissolving in the next few days and then it should heal up.

I can walk, but slowly since it's still quite swollen and the bruising rubs on my leg if i try and walk normally. It's not too bad now though, just irritating. As of today i can sit down and lie down comfortably, though sleeping is hard as i can't move my legs much and i wake up after a few hours. Still much more pleasant than it was the first few days.

As for the size - no they're not back to normal yet, but it looks like the swelling has started to go down now. The surgeon told me after my op that it it would probably take around two months for the swelling to reduce as much as is possible, but i did have a fairly large hydrocele so maybe it'll be less for others.

• Posted

How are you getting on ?
  • Posted

I had the hydrocele surgery 3 days ago. I am very sore. The incision is fine. Now I had a fairly large hydrocele so my incision is about 3 inches. I have substantial swelling. I am taking Percocet and thank God for that. The pain med keep it at a dull roar. As for the surgery no problems, it took only about 20 minutes. I woke up in 30 minutes with no grogginess and a little pain. The hospital was good and gave me 3 shots of duladid and 2 vicadens. So in about 30 minutes I was fine and went home. I'm not going to kid you the first night was very bad, my advise take the full amount of pain meds your doctor gives you. Urinating is a problem, because of the swelling, use a urinal it really helps. You are going to be bleeding and draining in your underwear. My advise is a feminine napkin. It sounds weird but it keeps your underwear cleaner. My doctor said to take a shower 3 days, I got some antibacterial body wash I figured it couldn't hurt. I would also suggest plan to spend the next 3-4 days in your underwear, try to keep the area dry. Now this is day 4 and I am doing much better. I am still taking pain meds, but I don't think it will be much longer. I already have missed doses. I will keep you guys informed on my progress.
  • Posted

This is day 5 and I have had a low grade fever since the day I had surgery. The pain level is much better and I am back to work. I am off the percocet except for one at the end of the day. The bleeding has almost stopped and other than the low grade fever I am do fine. The incision looks good or as good as it can look. If anyone has questions I will be glad to offer my opinion.
  • Posted

Hi guys. Looking for some advice here. I have a large hydrocele (avocado size) which I need to have removed - hydrocele surgery. I tried the needle but it came back in less than a week. It is large and becoming more uncomfortable everyday.

I work in special events and have several weeks in a row of multi day festivals. I may be able to squeeze the surgery in between two of the festivals - with maybe a week off to rest. My concern is that the festival seven days after the surgery will be four, 14 hour days in a row. It's outside, warm with lots of walking and driving in carts across the (bumpy) fairgrounds.

Would it be better to wait until after the big festival to have the surgery or should I feel well enough in seven days to work it? If the hydrocele wasn't so uncomfortable I could deal with the size and awkwardness. But it is really kind of a pain now so the sooner the better.

If I do end up waiting can anyone recommend garments or medicines that have helped you? Thanks.

• Posted

Your hydrocele is pretty large, and so was mine. For me I was back working in two weeks. Keep in mind you will have substantial swelling for around 2 weeks, and you will be sore. I am on week 4 and all the swelling is gone, but still a little sore. My doctor says by week 6 the testicle will be mostly normal. I hope this helps.

Later

Ron

• Posted

Well it's a new year and all is well. My scar is almost undetectable. The hydrocele is gone and I am so glad I went through the surgery, or at least the outcome. I hope my experience helps some of you.

Later

Ron

• Posted

Hi

I've seen posts that the swelling can take up to 6 weeks to go down. I had a Hydrocele repair a week ago and it still feels lime the Hydrocele is there. Is that just the swelling that feels lime its the Hydrocele?

Thanks guys.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.