I have had a scan for Gallstones which I had today.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had pain in my upper right abdomen for some time but its getting really bad like every day.  The sonographer found gallstone but didn't show any signs of why I would have pain. What does that mean??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi  You don't have infection. Or a stone blocked in your bile duct. But even with stones present if you eat a fatty or rich food the gallbladder squeezes out extra bile for the stomach to digest . And the gallbladder squeezing /contracting causes pain if stones are present...

believe me it gets worse than a just pain... If a stone gets stuck you get an agonising colic attack. And if infection sets in misery.

but positively you may just need to go on a low fat diet to manage your gall stones . Wait and see what your gp recommends.

surgery is the total solution . But you may not be at that point yet ..chin up ..

• Posted

Sally 14743 explains it the best and has helped me ease some of my pains before I have my surgery. 

So listen to her, she is very helpful

Gail

• Posted

Hi Vickie.  From what I understand about gallstones, is that pain came come and go, caused by a mobile stone I.e. When the gallbladder contracts to release some bile, a small stone can be flushed into the duct and cause periodic pain which subsides a little when the stone moves itself.   This was the type of stones I had originally.  Let us know what your outcome is?  Look after yourself x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.