I have had a toe joint replacement - all is not welll

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,  I had a toe joint replacement mid March this year.  I was in plaster for 7 weeks.  I sae the surgeons colleague the day I had my plaster off - he was rude and offensive - did not read my notes - and told me my toe should not be as oainful as it was by this stage.  He was unable to move it.  I was sent to physion two weeks later - assessment only - given some exercizes to do at home.  Returned two weeks later - miniscule imrovement - got to come back again in another two weeks.  Returned again - been working hard on what i was told to do - little imrovement again.  Two days later saw surgeon for the first time!  He gave me no hope and said this was the worst state he had seen - I cannot flex or bend toe at all - cannot even get into a pair of flat shoes - it is rigid!  He says that he can only try to break all the scar tissue that has formed locking the toe - under anaesthetic.  13 weeks of huge difficulty have gone by for me with this - I am now having to wait to see when I can be put under for him to try and manupulate the joint manually while I am knocked out - he was not hopeful.  I am distressed and upset and left disabled - cannot walk/drive etc........  he did not seem in the least bothered and I am beginning to think that there may have been negligence.  I have read online that after a toe joint replacement, that the foot should just be in a dressing (not plaster)  and within a week of surgery, physio should be started.  I have had 13 weeks in total without after care or anything.  Does anyone know of this operation.  I would love to discuss it.

Thank you.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I'm so sorry to hear that.

Usually with any join replacement you're encourage to get up the next day and start moving about with the help of the physio; knee, hip, toe whatever it may be.

Yes you're correct that it should be in a dressing as with a cast it restricts movement and allows scar tissue to build up and become stiff. You should of seen a physio after your surgery and then at a follow up and maybe once a week after that.

I'd make some serious queries as this is the standard procedure we tend to take with any joint replacement.

I hope all goes well for you x

• Posted

Hello, so sorry to hear what you have been through.  I think you need to seek a second opinion, I would not let this medical team disable you any further.

Best wishes 

• Posted

Hi Tricie,

Thank you for your reply - I think you are right and I need a second opinion - I have had contact today from the surgeon's secretary, and after seeing me yesterday he has booked me in for manual manipulation of the toe (under anaesthetic) to break down the scar tissue - do you have any knowledge of this?

Regards

• Posted

Hi, sorry, I dont, hopefully somebody else will.  If you are not happy with the outcome be assertive until you have the result you want.
  • Posted

I have heard of manipulation under anesthetic.  Someone in the FB group I Survived a Bunionectomy mentioned it and if I recall correctly they had good success with it.  However, before going ahead with this current team who has treated you so poorly would it be if posssible for you to get that 2nd opinion. ?  If your current team is in the public health system, perhaps a private sugeon (if that is possble for you) could give you a more objective opinion and guidance.  I can certainly understand if you no longer have the greatest confidence in the original team.  I had a disappointing outcome to my surgery done 11 weeks ago, lost confidence in the original surgeon's judgement because of it (he should have done a double procedure in my case and didn't), made excuses as to why he didn't do it. I got a second opinion by a private surgeon and fortunately he will be able to fix the problem.  Good luck with this....do let us know how you make out. 
    • Posted

Hi Rena Toronto, when you say the surgeon should have done a double procedure would you mind if I asked you what you mean by this? Is it that he should have performed an Akin osteotomy as well as a scarf osteotomy? If so, I think I may be in the same position as you.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Yes, exactly.  He performed a Chevron (Austin) osteotomy (11 weeks ago) and should really have done the Akin at the same time given the slope of the top portion of my toe.  Result is that as soon as the pin was removed toe started to slope again and within a short time was encroaching on my healing ex-hammertoe . When not weight bearing it's under the second toe and frankly I'm not sure it's not slowing down the healing of that 2nd toe. My full story of this is in the Hello There thread posted about June 6th or 7th.  Attached is a picture showing the top of the toe slope. What is the condition of your toe? How are you doing with your recovery?
    • Posted

Thank you, Rena, for your reply. I will look at the Hello There thread for the dates you suggest. Thank you also for the photograph. I was pleased to see that your foot is better than mine, although not what you had hoped for. I will try and upload a photo of my foot - never done it before.

Basically, the surgeon performed just a Scarf osteotomy, but this doesn't seem to have been sufficient as the big toe is still partly underneath the second toe, in about the same position it was before surgery. It's a very poor result, everyone who has seen it has been surprised about it. Since the op, the only person who thought it was ok was the surgeon. I go back to see her for a routine check next week and I am going to get another opinion.

I think my recovery has gone well, thank you. Apart from some advice about breathing from the hospital's physiotherapy dept I was given no post op advice by the hospital. However, I looked on the internet and I have been very careful to elevate the foot and to take the other post op advice on offer.

Now going to look at that thread, thank you again.

• Posted

I've read your post, Rena, thank you. Very interesting. The surgeon must have known that without performing an Akin osteotomy he would not be able to achieve sufficient correction, so that would seem to raise the question as to why he performed an operation that was never going to give a completely satisfactory result. A fairer approach would have been to have informed you of this prior to the op. At least you would have been able to decide whether or not to go ahead.

I think I am in the same position as you. I think I will have to get things put right by a private surgeon, too.

All the best.

• Posted

Good luck with it Footsies. Here's to a satisfactory outcome for each of us down the line smile
  • Posted

Oh dear, Barb, you seem to have had a really bad experience. Why could the surgeon not give you any hope, I wonder. He/she performed the surgery so is surely responsible for the outcome.

I agree with the other posts. I'd get a second opinion if you can.

All the best.

• Posted

Oh dear, Barb, you seem to have had a really bad experience. Why could the surgeon not give you any hope, I wonder. He/she performed the surgery so is surely responsible for the outcome.

I agree with the other posts. I'd get a second opinion if you can.

All the best.

• Posted

Ouch- I've just had this done and was told to weight bear straightaway and start bending etc after stitches out at two weeks.

I hope you have had it sorted since x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.