I have had acid reflux for years, was just put on Protonix and i think it is making it worse

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am a 25 year old male and I have had acid reflux and tried several different meds ranging from over the counter stuff like like Tums and Rolaids to prescriptions stuff like Omeprazol and one that starts with a "R" I think but I can't remember the name off hand and none of it helped, I had been off meds for a few years because I was sick on my old GI doctor he would have me go in for an Upper GI about every 3 months and won't do anything about the Upper abdominal pain (turns out to be my gallbladder going bad and needing to be removed). 

Monday (2-12-18) I had an Upper GI for the first time in about 4 years and they found I still had acid reflux as well as inflammation in my esophagus and stomach (waiting to hear if it is H. pylori or not). I was given a prescription for Protonix and I started it yesterday and I have noticed that now eating or drinking anything sets off my acid reflux really bad (even water and dry toast) should i contact my GI doctor or wait a few days?

1 like, 14 replies

Report

14 Replies

  • Posted

    Hey Buddy they usually say that some of the meds can take a few days to kick in.  One thing you also have to understand is that any PPI med can have long term effects on the body.  I was 17 when I started getting reflux and I amd now 32.  I had a procedure done about 18 months ago and since then I have not touched any PPI med because my reflux is no more.  The procedure is called Linx and it has changed my life.  This is still fairly a new procedure but mark my words you and your body will thank you in the long run.  Do some research on the Linx procedure because no one should have to go through life taking a pill every day and have to watch what they eat or drink.
    Report
    • Posted

      I have been in PPis before and they didn't make my acid reflux worse that why this is odd to me. As far as Linx or other surgical treatments, I know about them but the issue is that I have Medicaid as my insurance and they don't cover stuff like that unless a doctor can prove it is "medically necessary" so I have to try the meds again for a while my GI doctor decides who she wants to proceed (that also mostly depends on if I have H. Pylori or not).

      Report
    • Posted

      It depends where you live.  Here in Pittsburgh I got the testing and procedure done at no cost because the procedure is still being reviewed and if enough people have success with it they are going to start covering it.  Not everyone qualifies for it.  My reflux was really bad so I qualified for it and then my mom went to get tested and she didn't pass the testing. 

      Report
    • Posted

      Hi Jason,

      Can I ask where did you have the procedure done and did you find it very painful to go tru?

      Report
    • Posted

      Hi Kate, I had it done here in Pittsburgh at West Penn Hospital by Dr. Blair Jobe.  To be honest I have had several surgeries done in my 32 years and I will say this was the easiest surgery I ever went through.  I took one day off to have the surgery thinking I would have to take a few off and truth be told, I went back to work the next day cause I had very very little pain.  I will say the worst part is probably the testing you have to go through to get approved to have the surgery done and when you do have the surgery they have to fill you with air to do the surgery and that is somewhat painful because everything inside expands so your chest, shoulders hurt and it can hurt to breath for a few days but the device starts to work from Day one as soon as they put it in.
      Report
    • Posted

      Hi Jason you are so lucky, its great to hear about someone not having to suffer anymore, my son discovered today that there is a hospital in Birmingham UK called the reflux hospital where this procedure is possible, I will do my best to get over there some how to try have it done, thank you for your kind help
      Report
    • Posted

      Kate, it will be the best decision you will ever make. Hopefully all works out and you can get it under control.
      Report
    • Posted

      Hi Jason did you have any eating problems after the op because I've read so were about operating for reflux leaving people with earring problems  after 

      Report
    • Posted

      For the most part you have to eat small bites and they suggest to exercise the device. If you eat too fast in too big of bites that's when it can become an issue and sometimes have a hard time going down I've had that happen before and I had to throw it up because I couldn't get it down but I learned my lesson small bites and I've been fine.

      Report
    • Posted

      Thanks so much Jason for your help I really appreciate it, sincerely hope you enjoy continuing good health,

      Kate

      Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up