I have had acute pain in my right hand side under my rib cage and upper back pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

6 weeks ago I went to see my GP because I was suffering from acute pain in my right side and back,I also suffer with depressions.to cut a long story short she sent me for a scan.Before this I went to A&E and was sent home with Codine tablets.I had the scan last Tuesday,the following morning my GP rang me and I was told I had Gallstones.I have been given Buscopan tablets to help ease the pain.Today I was unable to go to work due to the pain.I am seeing a doctor at the end of next week to see how I am after taking the Buscopn tablets. I don't know what to do,the pain is on going,do I wait and give the pills a chance to work or go to A&E again now I know what it is.I can't bend down and my husband has been helping me get dressed.The only relief for the pain is to lie down and apply heat to my right side and back.I feel sick and keep coming all over hot and sweaty.I would welcome any advise from anyone as I feel the doctors I have seen (3) so far are not really listening to me.help needed

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If the pain is so bad you cant cope with it I would go to A&E. I dont know if they will admit you, I think it depends where you are in the country but it may get things moving towards getting onto the list for getting the gallstones out. x
    • Posted

thank you for taking the time to reply to me,I feel I have  to give the tablets the doctor gave me a chance to work.I don't think going to A&E will help until I have done this although I am in a lot of pain.I have not seen a docotor yet since my scan only spoke to one so I don't know really what the scan showed was just told that I had gallstones.As it bank hoilday weekend if I can copy with the pain I will leave it to after the hoilday,where I work are just saying go and have the GB removed.I don't think its as easy as this but they want me fit to go back to work.many thanks x
  • Posted

I think all you can do is take pain killers and wait for your appt so they can decide if its going to settle or if ot needs removing hun. Been having similar on & off with other symptoms myself and a&e just packed me off said once already under the docs care then its being dealt with. I went as the pain got too much one night and turned into a panic attack but i thought it was a heart attack lol.

Have u got gasto appt lined up? Mines not till end of the month but yest gp said she ref me to surgeons as well see if they are willing to do some more investigations to check it is my gallbladder. As just because there are stones does not mean it is them. Mines not showing any thickening etc that they would expect. Is yours? Have you had an ultrasound?

• Posted

Hi Toralouise

Thank you for replying so soon,I had an ultrasound last Tuesday and my GP phoned me on the Wednesday morning to tell me I had GS.I have been given antispasmodics tablets that should help with the pain and was told to go on a low fat diet which I have been on for the last 3 weeks.I may need to have GB removed but we would discuse my options when I see him next Friday. Not sure if I can last that long but going to give the pills  a chance to work.Hope all goes well for you when you see the surgeon at the end of the month

• Posted

Mines only to discuss if we are going to remove as well. I dont get much pain during the day mines nearly all at night.

Mine started in november last year with a massive attack but mine keeps falring my acid reflux which gp can't understand why.

I hope you get some confort from them, i have other health issues that i am on pain killers, anti spasmodics and vallium for so not sure if some are masking some of it for me.

Could do without the acid as well though.

Does yours get worse at set times?

I am scared silly to have it out but also can't cope much longer either. The waiting lists are insane. I am thinking of looking into private costs and the possibility of other options although told there isnt many

• Posted

Patricia go straight to A&E dont wait to see your doctor he would probably send you there anyway love, they will sort you out xxx
    • Posted

many thanks for replying,i have tried going to A&E and was sent home with codien and they said the would get in touch with my GP.Since then I have had a scan and it has confirmed I have GS,I have been given tablets for the pain and am waiting to see how these work and will then see my GP to discuss my options op or no op.xx
  • Posted

Hi Patricia 30000   ...  .. the first thing you need to do at the moment is avoid anything fatty.  I don't even put margerine or butter on my bread or toast, I poach my eggs now etc., etc., it really does make a difference if you can give your GB a chance to calm down a bit.   I'm due to have my gallbladder removed next week but I've been able to keep most of the pain at bay by following a strict fat free diet (boring boring I know, but it's better than the pain).    
    • Posted

Hi Moonday

Thank you for your reply,I have started a fat free diet although its quite a lot to it,have been on the net for what I can and can not eat,I have only just be diagnose with GS not seen the doctor yet so he can exsplain what my scan showed.There are so many people for and against removing the GB,I just want to be free of this pain as I have already other things going on at the moment.good luck with your op next week I hope it will mean the end of your pain xx

• Posted

I had the same problem 3 years ago and it was my gallbladder. They had to remove it. It had been a battle after that with the so called ghost pains and it actually sent me to the ER back in October of 2014. I believe and don't quote me that a healthy life style should be in place. I started eating healthier, lost weight and cut on all sweet drinks and coffee. Since my ER episode I've probably had the pains no more than 5 times.  I believe it was the coffee and soda. Anyhow, I hope you get better soon and please try to change your eating habits first before any surgery...of course unless it's just too late.
    • Posted

Hi gloriaR

thank you for your reply,I have been in alot of pain over the last few months,have had a scan and been told I have GS and my doctor has given me pills to help until I see him next week.there is alot of fors and agaisnt having your GB removed.I have started a low fat diet but not really sure what I can and can't eat been looking on the internet.I have been told that there can be problems after you have had your GB removed and that is not always the best option.will have to wait and see what my GP says mean while I am going to contine to eat a more healthy diet.many thanks x

• Posted

I waited a week before getting the results of my scan and they took ages to send the results to my GP so atleast your system seems to be working a lot better than mine.

I am on maximum Buscopan Take 2 4 times a day.(8).

I have 6 - 8 month wiating list to have my gallbladder removed.

If you are in a lot of pain you could go back to GP and try Tramadol . I am on Ibuprofen Coedeine Phosphate and Oramorph Oral Solution but only take this solution when the pain is really bad.

I also find doctors not very good here. I am going back to a woman doctor who paid me a home visit back at the beginning of December last year and was the first one to say she thought it might be gallstones. This was before she had the scan so obviously she wass right.

I will simply say to her "You are the one who started this all off, do you think you could finish it off by contacting my consultant's secretary and getting her to put me further up the op list." She can only say no.

Otherwise I think I will be lucky to have the op this year.They sre so slow and hopeless.

Good luck with all this. Take care

Keep in touch

Praying for you

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah

thank you for replying,I got an eary scan because I asked them if they had any earlyer ones I would take it.I have not seen a doctor yet to explain my scan results only by phone when they told me that I had GS.they have not refered me for an op yet as they have given me the same tables as you and I am taking 2 four times a day,I'am seeing a doctor next Friday but feel I should give the pills a chance to work.I am on pain relief patches for my back so may be they are helping in some way.I have been to A&E but got sent home with codine pills.I am on hoilday from work next week  so will see how things go. I hope you get to have your op real soon.

best whishes

love

Pat

• Posted

hi Sarah

did you find the Buscopan tablets helped at all,I have been taking them for a week and have't felt any different,still in pain,yesterday I could only get up to go to the bathroom at that was difficualt,this morning I'am still in pain but I am up and hope that it will go away.seeing my doctor tomorrow and due to return to work next week which I'am not sure if I will beable to do.how are you doing,are you any nearer to getting your op sooner.hope you are feeling a bit better

best wishes

Pat x

• Posted

Yes I find Buscopan help.. A few weeks ago when I was going through a good period I thought I might have passed gallstone.

Chemist said reduce buscopan and see what happens.

I reduced Buscopan and pain started again within a few days.

I now take 8 Buscopan every day whether I am in pain or not.

Very off and on . Sometimes I'm OK and other times pain just comes on completely out of the blue.

Hope you manage to get back to work.

Take care

Sarahxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.