I have had ankle fused and Subtalar joint fused and still in discomfort.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello im 49 and had my right ankle fused in May 18 and my Subtalar joint Nov 19. The cast has been on for 12 weeks for the Subtalar and now is off. Its been 2 weeks and im still in pain like it was in 2018 before the ankle was fused. Consultant was happy with the 2nd op saying its all fused and start wearing normal shoes again. Its been at least 4+years of ups and downs with this arthritis ankle pain thinking when this 2nd op was done i can get on to a sort of normal life " but no "pain walking its all there still. I feel depressed in a way because the time I gave myself to have these operations coz im selfemplyed having time off cost money.,

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I hear ya

I was waitressing and bartending when I broke my ankle

7 months later here and that kind of cash is difficult to replace!'

Im heading back to work next weekend

• Posted

Hi Jay,

I feel for you I had ankle fusion in 2013. In 2014 I had to have the screws removed as they were really bothering me, eventually after another 3 months I was pain free. Than in spring of 2018 I started with pain again, so finally I had my sub talar joint fused in July last year. I now know this has been unsuccessful and on Tuesday of next week I am going to have a revision done on the joint with bone graft, taken from my hip. I was also self employed, I have now retired, aged 64. So I think it is still early days, if the fusion has worked it will get better with time. On my xrays and ct scan you can clearly see that it is a non-union. Good luck and take each day as it comes.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply mate its means alot coz i think its only me as a unlucky one. I will take it day by day. Its just a s**t day every day when you wake up and cant even walk with discomfort. The next move i will ask is the removal of the screws thats my last option.

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi

I had an operation fir three broken bones in my ankle over a year ago and still having problems can't walk without limping and it aches and swells i had 2 pins and a plate in with 20 stitches now got arthritis and Osteoporosis they have suggested bone fusion would you recommend it please

I'm depressed with it

• Posted

Morning Joan

If i can go back and start again i would say NO to the ankle fusion. I would of took different avenues to control the pain. This have been going on for 4 years with the 3 op thinking pain free. People recover in different ways and if your in real pain with the ankle what you go through with the fusion why not a total ankle replacement. I know it goes on age but it could work for you. When i was getting xray once i was talking to a guy with the same problem as me but had a total different operation. He said no to a fusion and they did something else. Sorry cant remember the name the op but he was my age and still had movement.

• Posted

Hya

Thank you for replying , the thing is i am 70 and wander if this is why im taking longer to heal, I am depressed and frustrated, I had my operation feb 2019 .

I really dont know what to do, if you say you would not reccomend the fusion.

Thank you

Joan

• Posted

Hello Joan

At your age are you active person if not then its a must for the fusion if your in pain. Im just turned 49 and a builder with children and a active life having a fusion didnt suit me. Your a year away from your last operation which is still playing up. Is it worth to go back through it all again with the fusion. Sorry if i put you in two minds of having a fusion but it suits people in different ways. When i had mine i got myself a mobility scooter just to get me around.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.