I have had bad ball of foot pain for years? What can I do to make it go away without surgery?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I never knew that it was a serious thing, never took the problem too seriously until I kind of was more aware of the pain now really. when I walk, the pain is worst when I apply pressure on the ball area of my foot so I just always walked differently to minimize the pain. I have to walk a lot everyday so that is probably what caused it but does it go away if I start treating it now, I really don't want surgery?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HI i have same problem, only two things which help is 1/ keep hard skin  away from soaking and removing and 2/ buy shoes next size up and buy some really good memory foam insoles.Another thing which cause my pain is the ligaments are shortening and pulling up my big toes which make the ball of my feet hit the ground more pronounced then other people. If neither of these sounds like your problem go and see a chiropodist for a second opinion, doesn't mean that surgery is needed, maybe something else going on hear though.  Walking differently to avoid the pain is understandable but could cause other problems in the long run.  You may find a good pair pf insoles is all the need to cushion the area. 

• Posted

Hi, Hello265 - ball of foot pain is my middle name!  You need to go see a good podiatrist to find out what the problem is.  I had it one time because I had a slight tear to my plantar plate.  It was cured by wearing a walking boot for several months.  The next time was because, as my podiatrist said, my age had finally caught up to my bad anatomy.  Bad anatomy being a second metatarsal that is too long in proportion to the others.  This put undue stress on it over the years until the surrounding ligaments had torn and it had shifted in placement.  This time did require surgery.  But - I have the same bad anatomy on the other foot, and I wear orthotics in tennis shoes when I go walking or jogging, and I wear gel cushions in other shoes.  You won't know what is causing your pain until you go see a competent podiatrist.  Find out the cause, and then you can discuss treatment options.  Good luck!  Let us know what your doctor says.

• Posted

I read your other posts from your surgery last year. I think we have similar feet and had the same surgery. I hope you are doing well.
    • Posted

Hi, ambceb69158 - yes, doing well - thank you!  That surgery was not fun but I had no choice as the pain prevented all normal activities.  So glad it’s behind me!  How are you?  Did you have surgery on both feet or just one?  I am doing everything I can to prevent getting to the same place with my other foot.  
  • Posted

Hi! This may not be the answer you're looking for, but after much time spent trying to get a plantar plate tear to heal on it's own in a walking boot, I had to have surgery. Prior to this I bought every over the counter insole and metatarsal pad I could. I bought new pairs of shoes. Nothing helped. I think you should see a podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon for starters. There are a lot of possibilities. My tear felt like I was walking on the bones of my foot. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.