i have had cellulitis for 5 months

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been on antibiotics on and off for five months. I have recently finished a course of 8000mg antibiotics a day for 7 days but they havent helped. After a gap of 3 days I am taking 2000mgs flucloxacillin a day. The doctor wouldnt come out to me and sent a nurse who bandaged my right leg bcause of weeping.I am 77 years old with a lot of other health issues and am in great pain which morphine does not alleviate. I fall asleep at random times but severe pain wakes me. I am confined to my home(not been able to get out for almost a year. Can anyone give me some good advice please? Linda

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have had it since the end of may, the only thing i can suggest which helped me a little is put moisturising cream with 2-3 drops of tea tree oil added, be careful with tea tree oil only use two or three drops.
  • Posted

Hi Linda,

I'm 58, male, I had a stove fall on my shin and needed about 12 stitches. Redness continued for about 6 months, weeping and blisters but without much pain. My GP didn't seem to be sure what the problem was. I had 2 treatments of flucloxacillin without any result. Finally, instead of going to my GP I went to the emergency room of the hospital where I initially received my stiches. The triage nurse took one look at my leg and said "Cellulitis! You should have come here right away instead of going to your GP". I was prescribed clindamycin, I think for four days, then again for 5 days. It cleared up the infection, but the area is still damaged looking, Clindamycin is a very powerful drug and can have side effects, most commonly a disruption or killing off of the beneficial gut flora, so I took acidophilus tabs and regularly ate probiotic live yoghurts to help counteract the effects (I did have some moderate bouts of diahorrea as a result of the clindamycin).  I have to put a cushioned pad over the previously infected area daily as even a small bump can separate the skin layers causing blisters. I also have to moisturise it and avoid scratching the area! Hope this helps.

• Posted

So sorry to hear this Linda. Make sure you get some good probiotics as your stomach will be suffering from the antibiotics. Suggest to your doctor to be tested for Staph in the nostrils and this can be treated. I have been diagnosed with staph bacteria and I am susepitcal to cellulitus. The treatment is easy it's a cream up the nose. Plenty of greens and vitamins will help you heal and the rest will pay off. Wishing you a very fast recovery. Emma

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.