i have had constant swirling in my head for 5 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

I initially had symptons of being unbalanced and light headed on and off for a couple weeks and then I had this explosion of light headiness while driving and I have had it ever since every minute of the day when in motion.  I have had all the medical dizziness checks done e.g mri, heart scan and there is nothing seriously wrong. I have many checks by doctors including ent and I do not have vertigo and my hearing has been checked and its good, so it may not be Labyrinthitis or Vestibular Neuritis.  I have not been given a definitive diagnoses.  My balance has improved over the months but I have this constant swirling in my head when I am in motion, it is VERY distressing and has caused my life to crash.  I have recently been to the Balance Clinic and some prelimary tests done and I am waiting for the Vestibular test appointment.  I have a Neurology appointment pending as well.  I am doing the Cawthorne and Cooksey exercises.  Is it possible, that I initially had an inner ear problem and I do not now but the constant swirling is something other than inner ears or the inner ears are damaged in some other way.  Thanks for any help.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You state that you have been to a Balance clinic, therefore I assume that all the relevant tests have been done.  If there was an inner ear problem, there would be detectable features left over.  Therefore, an inner ear problem was not and is not present.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Hi Eleftherio

could a bulging neck disc also cause dizziness.  I have been diagnosed with both BPPV and silent migraines but think my neck also plays a part.

Any advice much appreciated.

Kind regards

Anne

• Posted

No. A bulging neck disc will not cause dizziness.  

• Posted

Hello Anne,

​I saw my neurologist yesterday, and asked him about neck issues causing dizziness etc.  He said that stenosis causing compression on the spinal cord could indeed be responsible.  Not sure whether a bulging disc is indicative of stenosis, or whether you had been told that but I wanted to mention that. 

• Posted

Thanks Nancy, the MRI on my lower spine showed no compression of the spinal cord, but not sure about the neck bulging disc might be affecting everything.  I do know that nortriptyline for visual vertigo has helped me a lot.  It's like looking for a needle in a haystack.  Someone told me today that when they were on hrt they were really dizzy, I am also on HRT.  Makes me wonder if i should stop, but off HRT I have severe arthritis and pain in everybone, right down to my little toe.  It's such a minefield.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hello again Anne.  I think it may be worth asking about the bulging disc in your neck.  My biggest problem area is between C 5-6.  I use hormone pellets - bioidentical ones.  I talked to the neuro about this, but he wasn't overly concerned.  I only have them inserted twice a year, and honestly feel the same dizzy-wise at the time I have them done, as when I am in need of having them done again, so I see no connection.  I talked to the neuro about tinnitus and the ear fullness - asked him whether he thought possibly this could be Meniere's. He said no, because that's easy to diagnose.  Well, from what I've read no it isn't, because there really isn't a specific test for that, rather it is diagnosed based upon symptoms and ruling out other issues.  I'm so sorry that you continue to feel poorly.  We have talked in the past, so I know that both of us have been dealing with this stuff for many years.  I wish you (and all on this site) the best.

• Posted

Thanks Nanci.  I am worn out with this overtaking my life, so can't make a career out of it as have to work too.  I saw the consultant last week and spent all of 2 mins with him, max 3, no exaggeration,  as his clinic was running late and i was the last one of the morning.  I didn't complain cos' he said don't worry about remembering all this I'll put it in a letter, but said to stop the nortriptyline after 3 months, but that is also relieving my neck pain and has really made a difference to the spaced out feelings i was experiencing with silent migraines.  I think all my  problems started soon after the menopause and he said this was part of it.  In the past 3 years I appear to have gone past my sell by datesmile

• Posted

You are funny Anne!  And, from "hearing" your thoughts, you are far from being past your sell by date!  Dealing with all of this is no fun, but I always try to remind myself how much luckier I am than many others.  I deal with occasional silent migraines too.  Doesn't it just seem like there should be a simple answer for those of us who seem to have many similar issues?

?Anyway, keep your spirits up, and maybe treat yourself to a massage now and then to help with your neck pain.  Try to maintain good posture and not get too stressed out - I know sometimes easier said than done.

?Take care!

• Posted

Oh and one other thing the neuro recommended to me.  He said to be vigilant about drinking enough water, which is something I'm not good at.

• Posted

Thanks Nanci, remember also to drink 'plenty' of fluids.  I always forget the importance of that too.  How did people manage before they had to drink all this watersmile

• Posted

How did people survive without seat belts, helmets, drinking from the hose, and all the other "stuff" we did as kids?  Crazy huh???

?Hope today is a better day for you!

• Posted

Hello Eleftherio, I am waiting for my next tests for the Vestibular.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hello Eleftherio, I have been slowly improving but I have a big problem turning my head to the right when I have a swirling sensation in my head. Thank you.
    • Posted

Eye movement test (following the finger) .

The same test again, but done in the dark.

Looking at the eyes move in different bed positions.

Calorics.

Vestibular Evoked Myogenic Potentials (VEMPs).

Not a

• Posted

Not all the above may be needed, depending on the clinical examination.  But the first three are a must.

• Posted

Hello Eleftherio, when I rotate my head in the vertical from right to left I feel resistance inside the head top left above the eye. I am able to walk a few miles now for exercise but when I finish I have very small headaches. Do you have any diagnosis? Thank you Ian.
    • Posted

Blood circulation comes to mind, specifically involving the back of the neck (head turning). Perhaps this can be clarified at the next neurology appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.