I have had flu symptoms for 2 months. Is this an M.E. relapse or just a bad virus?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went down with a virus 2 months ago - very achy muscles, fever and sore throat, but no upper respiratory tract infection. Also nausea and loss of appetite. The first week didn't feel so bad and I went into work. Then I took 3 weeks off as the symptoms worsened. I improved somewhat and went back into work for 4 weeks, but now have admitted defeat and am back off sick. Worrying symptoms such as pins and needles pain all over, muscle aches and glands up in my throat. I have enjoyed good health for some years (10, excluding a bad bout of flu in 2015 which lasted 9 weeks), so this is extremely worrying. I started a new very demanding job in the summer and realised quite quickly that I probably wasn't really suited to it and had taken on too much. I pushed on hoping I would just take time to settle in, but I have now made the decision to resign. Trying to carry on in a job which hasn't suited me won't have helped my recovery, and I have now resolved to rest until I am better. However, I am plagued by thoughts that the dreaded M.E. is back. Has anyone else had a bad virus already this winter which is taking weeks to shift? Any reassurance would be gratefully received. Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes! I'm just getting over a really bad virus--so bad, my doctor is checking me for pneumonia. I've had it for 2 weeks now. I think it might finally be easing up a bit. Just take it really easy and try not to stress about your ME returning. Of course you know that won't help, and what you want to do is minimize your stress load, not maximize it. You were smart to resign from a demanding job. Take care!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Jackie. It was hard to resign, especially as I had such high hopes for the job, but at least I can take as much time as I need to get better now. I hope you also start to improve soon. Thanks again.
  • Posted

my symptoms come and go. one week I will feel 99% and then the next week headaches/sleep disturbances/nausea/hot flashes. I've been fighting this post viral fatigue/me/cfs for 3.5 months now and I think i'm close to full recovery now with the exception of slight hand tremors after long duration of extreme exercise. 

• Posted

Great to hear you are nearly fully recovered. That's great to hear. 

• Posted

Heya Emma, 

Just aw the thread and thought I would check in to see how you are doing? Ive been battling flu-like symptoms for about two months now and have been off work for 5. 

Ive always been prone to brain fog/fatigue but never considered M.E until now 

struggling a bit as progress is very very slow, 

Hope you are doing better smile 

• Posted

Hi Emma   I got the Flu jan 29.  Took tamiflu for the 5 days dosage. Took 3 weeks off from work but for about 4 weeks I have nausea every day. It’s bad  I tried everything. I eat white rice I eat applesauce bananas toast I can’t eat most of the things that I used to I can’t even look at food are used to be at the gym every day I have gone only four times in the past two weeks I am still very tired and feel fatigued I feel the Tammy flu made me worse I don’t know what to do are you better by now I hope you are feeling better I went 

to get a sonogram for abdomen.    I still have a few more test to do what did you do what did you take what helped you doing this time I’m so depressed well I wanna do is be home and I feel on comfortable and the nausea is bad I don’t throw up it’s just constant nausea I need help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.