I have had major knee surgery 7 weeks ago, what should my range of movement be at this stage?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had my MCL PCL LCL ACL and my patella tendon replaced. I've reached a point in my stretches where it feels I have reached a limit to my movement. I have avout 45 degrees of flexion. Should I be able to move it more at this stage?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had TKR nearly 3 years ago. I had 6 week appointment with consultant by which stage I was just 90 degree bend.

It took about a year before I could really begin to feel benefit of op.

Now it is like having my life back and I do not regret having op for one moment.

Keep me posted

Sarah

• Posted

I have had mates who have had ligament operations and were surprised when I show them how much I can bend my leg. But they havn't had such extensive surgery as I have. I had to re arrange my 6 week check up with the surgeon for next week because travel issues. I feel that the stretches have reached a point where I can't push myself anymore. But all in all my knee feels sound and regaining strength slowly.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi

Let me just say everyone is different. I see some people on here who have had knees replaced and they are , seemingly, miles ahead of me. But everyone is different. Your doctor must tell you what is expected. I left the clinic (I live in France ) at about 90o but 10 weeks on and I am only at 95o. But I feel relatively "normal". But my tendon was not cut.

Do you feel like you should be further on? It is such early days for you.

I fully expect it will take me months to be as good as new and I really believe I will be.

The posts on this site are wonderful and I got a lot of support when I thought it was only happening to me.

Bon courage as they say over here!

• Posted

My knee feels fine and getting strength back. I wasn't sure where I should be on the flexibility side. I have physio every week and she seems to be happy but just wanted to see what other people's progress is. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.