I have had muscle pain and stiffness in my hips,groin, shoulders and knees

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the last three months I have had pain and stiffness in my joints/muscles reading some posts it has occurred to me it may be due to my under active thyroid for which I am on 150g of levothyroxine. 

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Went to see Dr yesterday and as predicted by members it was hard work. Presented my thyroid theory which he sadly did not believe responding with why after 9 years have you developed these problems ? I did point out many were due to under medication and that my last two tests he informed me I was low! I also found out that my dose was reduced in 2013 less than two years ago not as I thought 4 plus years ago. Anyway to save you all the detail which took 45 minutes, he referred me to a rheumatologist and I asked to be referred to a Endocrinoligst. So next step is waiting for the appointments. Thanks again for all your help. One thing he did, was totally dismiss T3 count, saying that it was a waste of time and medics ignore it ? Anyway, the Endo will hopefully be more receptive to my theory based on the information I am pulling together.
    • Posted

Well done! Hard work it may have been, however you got what you needed out of him: referral to an endocrinologist. Give it two weeks and if you haven't received the appt ring the endo's secretary and check they have received. Also ask your doctor's receptionist if you can have a copy of the referral letter for your records (I learn loads from these letters). Then try everything you've learnt about thyroid at the appt with the endo!
    • Posted

Good for you for being so resilient.

It beggars belief that doctors know so little about the thyroid.

Are you in the UK?

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.