I have had my Gastroscopy, my Osophagus looked ok

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my Gastroscopy yesterday at long last. I decided not to have sedation, as I wanted to know what was going on. I was nervous but they were really lovely to me. I think they appreciate it, as your not taking up their time after, and you can just walk out. It is of course up to the individual. I thought I at least would have a Hiatus Hernia, after the discomfort before I started taking the medication, and altering my diet. There was no Cancer she said (the Gastrolagist) no Hiatus Hernia, no Barrets. So I asked why all the discomfort, she said some people have this tendency to get Reflux. She took four biopsies, apparently this is done whenever someone has problems of swallowing. I have to go back and have a test on my acid count. I have lost just over a stone since it all started, I sort of lost my appetite, I could consume a box of chocolates in the past, the fun has gone out of food for me. I was just over 9 st 3lb now I am 8 st 1lb.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Congratulations.  The results you have provided sound excellent in terms of your general heath.  I was just wondering (a) how long you had been waiting - given that I'm going to have to enter the process myself (assuming I can win the lottery with my GP surgery) and wanted to know if you are, in fact, inthe UK.  Bless you for your kind advice. 
    • Posted

Yes I am in the UK near Stevenage Hertfordshire. My doctor put me in for this in January, I had a consultaion in April with Gastrologist, and had the procedure yesterday. They did try and get me in at the beggining of April, by phoning on the Sunday and offering me a cancelation on the Tuesday, bit short notice.  I had a weeks babysitting for my daughter, who was going on Hols abroad with her husband. It may be shorter waiting in your area.
    • Posted

Congrats, ooops! That's really good news. I've just had a follow up gastroscopy and I'm all healed too ( apart from the barretts). I've found that eating normally and taking gaviscon advance have helped ( also on nexium and domperidone) but I feel more confident in my eating. I've lost over a stone, too. I think you just have to go for it and see what affects you. Apparently carob is safe if you have reflux and after a big gap tastes as good as chocolate. There is a condition called Nerd - it's like a functional reflux where you have all the symptoms but none of the damage. Maybe you have that? Anyway good to hear that you are clear of nasties. Btw I'm in Bolton and I've had 2 gastroscopies since Feb so maybe our endoscopy dept is not too bad after all! smile
    • Posted

Well Stella I thought I had read everything concerning the Osophagus, but NERD is something I had not come across. I just Googled it, so that is why she wants to do the PH. test. I shall look into it further, thank you very much, I was confused until you mentioned NERD. I was beginning to think it may be Hysterical Symptoms,

Psychosamatic or something along those lines. Stay well.

• Posted

I hate it when you get made to feel like you're mad when they can't explain something! I was told I would be wasting nhs money having a gastroscopy til they found the oesophagitis and the barretts. Never doubt your intuition. I hope you get an answer soon. Keep us posted, won't you?
    • Posted

Well done for standing up for yourself. We have had in this country a good health service. Disgusting that they tried to make you feel guilty. I will post on here the findings of my next procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.