I have had pain in the neck for several months now. I al...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had pain in the neck for several months now. I also have a tennis elbow which they thought may be worse due to the neck. I have done excersises at home for four months to no avail. I have had physiotherapy, and have had several treatments with a cyropractic. I feel a nuisance when going to the doctors therefore try alternatives to try and help myself. Non of this has worked.I have limited movement in my neck, the pain exactly as I have read down arms and shoulders mostly when in bed.I really feel quite down now being persistantly in pain. I don't know what to do now.

[i:3ca5cc47d7]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3ca5cc47d7]

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have just read your comments on your neck pain and wish I could advise you! Trouble is I sound just like you! This pain in neck and arms began in September 05 and now I've worked out that it was probably due to sleeping badly on a sofa when staying at friends.

I am seeing an Osteopath who cranks my neck and manipulates my arm - I am now down to the doctors - who have signed me up with physio which I start tomorrow. One thing I have been doing for most of the year is Pilates and I think this can be helpful as long as you are careful with the type of exercises.

Like you the pain is at its worst at night when lying down on my sides ( never on my front) and marginally better lying on my back.

I am very fed up too as I don't know where its going and very few people appreciate the discomfort I am in! Let me know how you get on...

Jeanne Irwin

[i:0885e61ca0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:0885e61ca0]

• Posted

I have had chronic neck pain for many years from an old rugby injury, plus laptop-itis, plus lots of miles on the road, plus stress, etc. etc.

I have found that treating the joint (Chiro- /Osteo- /Physio-) seems to help a bit, but not a lot. Most of the symptoms are muscular, so plain old regular sports or deep tissue massage always helps a great deal. A small amount of traction from a good Physio helps too. Pilates is good because it trains the joints to be in balance, which when they are, all the referred pain and discomfort disappears.

The gripe I have with the Health system is that much of the therapy is suck-it-and-see, and not alt all holistic (a duff joint causes muscle spasm, which in turn can pull or compress joints, and so on). Most practitioners don't recommend excellent alternatives like a simple massage, but it's the combination which I find most effective. If you can't afford it, get a spouse or relative or friend to help (I have a standing arrangement with my brother & we help each other a great deal).

And unless it's especially helpful I'd be very wary of chiropractors: the two I've used had systems aimed to maximise patient throughput without any improvement in my condition - AND making a fortune in the process!

I hope these comments help some

[i:e4506f8691]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e4506f8691]

• Posted

hi

I was diagnosed with Cervical Spondylosis at the age of 36, and lost 50% of all movement. I had extensive physiotherapy which got restricted movement back. I now have chiropractic treatment. I have now lived with this for 5 plus years.

I think that everyone's case is unique. Chiropractic treatment does not work for everyone. It is however working for me.

However, you evenutally have to accept that the medical profession cannot cure this. Unfortunately you have to learn to live with it, and take responsibility for it.

This is not easy as I well know.

Regards.

• Posted

i have neck pain.. 8 weeks now. no doctor helped me until i burst into tears!!! i was dizzy and faint , couldn't hold my head up and had jaw pain. I had bot been in an accident or anything so they finally ordered mri of my neck and a ct scan of my neck.. all it showed was my neck was straight..( never explained why) i am still suffering and unable to help out at home.. i do feel sorry for anyone with neck pain... All i can say is take ibuprofen , maybe ask your doctoe for diazapam to relax the muscles and try a wheat bag that you heat up in the microwave.. it has helped a little bit.
  • Posted

[quote:cefb4bd5ca=\"C. W.\"]I have had pain in the neck for several months now. I also have a tennis elbow which they thought may be worse due to the neck. I have done excersises at home for four months to no avail. I have had physiotherapy, and have had several treatments with a cyropractic. I feel a nuisance when going to the doctors therefore try alternatives to try and help myself. Non of this has worked.I have limited movement in my neck, the pain exactly as I have read down arms and shoulders mostly when in bed.I really feel quite down now being persistantly in pain. I don't know what to do now.

[i:cefb4bd5ca]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:cefb4bd5ca][/quote:cefb4bd5ca]

First thing springs to mind – have you actually had a definite diagnosis via MRI? I am not sure if it’s Cervical Spondylosis or not that you have from your post. If you have had no MRI, surely you should have? It’s crucial to finding out what may be wrong in those areas.

I have had the same symptoms as you but they might level off in time, just as long as you are doing all you can to help yourself.

So some simple things to cover – have you got a memory foam pillow? If not, please get one – I got one from Argos for only £30 and it makes a huge difference to your neck. If your shoulders are bad, you may wish to invest in a memory foam mattress cover. It’s not all cheap but there again, it’s your health and welfare and it’s worth a go.

With exercises – you should stick with them regardless as to whether you think they are helping. As long as you are not getting worse and are careful and correct on the way you are exercising, then keep it up. Stretch every day also – best after a hot shower or bath. Maybe a bit of deep heat cream would help at times, it does for me.

• Posted

isn't it funny that the doctors can't tell you anything. at the moment i am in pain and i feel tired all the time. my elbows hurt my arms hurt and i had a blood gas test in my wrist done last monday.. the wrist hurts like hell!! and it has a massive bruise on it wish doesn't seem towant to go..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.