I have had several episodes of nausea and excessive vomiting and I am getting nowhere with GPS.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Continuous nausea and periods of excessive vomitting to the point of being hospitalised because of dehydration through not being able to keep anything down. This has been going on since February after having depo provera contraceptive injection. I've spoken to several GPs who have all said its nothing to do with the injection. I've had scans and blood test all of which have come back ok. The doctors don't seem to have any reason for this happening. I am so concerned as the symptoms are not wearing off and I still have no answers. I just want to be diagnosed with something so I can be treated appropriately. I can't make any plans because I am ill so much. This is ruining my life.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The depo provera injection does cause persistent nausea and vomiting.  When your google the side effects of this drug, nausea and vomiting comes up. Print out the list of side effects and show your doctor.  Come off this medication and change your doctor because you are not being told correct information.
    • Posted

When I went to have the injection I repeatedly asked about side effects and every time I asked, I was told there were none. At this point I didn't look online as I trusted the doctor and nurse. I had no reason not to. If they had said there were any side effects then I wouldn't have had it done. I first became poorly 2 days after having the injection. I only ever had it done once. Since all this started I have read of side effects, some similar to what I am going through. I put my trust in the medical profession and they have failed me. I am still suffering with this daily and the doctors are still insisting it isn't the injection. I really don't know where to turn.

• Posted

All drugs have side effects of one type or the other and doctors don't like to admit this. They know perfectly well that some people can react badly to them   As a patient you have a right to know the risks of taking a particular medication.  You gave them several opportunities to tell you the truth and they refused.  This is unprofessional behaviour; tell them this.  The fact that you started feeling unwell two days after the injection is clear evidence that it disagreed with you, this is undisputed fact.  It is not a coincidence.

Show your doctor the print out of the side effects as evidence that he/she is wrong. Don't be fobbed off by anything they tell you, impress on them that you feel that you were misled into taking the medication on the basis of incorrect information and that you have completely lost faith in them because of this.  If they still refuse to listen to you, tell them that you are going to make a formal complaint and change your Practice. It is their responsibility to admit to any harm that their treatments cause, and to rectify it.  This is what a professional 21st century service is all about.

Unfortunately these days you have to be very firm with doctors when you feel let down.  Don't be afraid to tackle them head on about this.

• Posted

Common side effects of depo provera

mental/mood changes (such as new or worsening depression), 

changes in sexual interest or ability, 

swelling of the ankles or feet, 

bone pain, 

unusual changes in vaginal bleeding (such as continuous spotting, sudden heavy bleeding), 

persistent nausea or vomiting, 

severe stomach/abdominal/pelvic pain, 

unusual weakness or tiredness, 

dark urine, 

yellowing eyes or skin,

seizures.

• Posted

Have y
    • Posted

do you have other symptoms like feeling full after eating or anything?
    • Posted

The only other symptoms I've had are night sweats, very irregular periods and bad headaches. The night sweats usually occur when I'm severely sick, not when it's just nausea. I usually get them immediately prior to and during a vomiting episode.

I have been so bad at times that I've had to be taken to hospital to be given anti sickness injection (I am on anti sickness tablets, but sometimes it's so bad that they don't work) and then put on a drip because of dehydration.

I had a miscarriage last September due to hyperemesis gravidarum. What I have now feels exactly like what I felt then, but this just isn't stopping. The doctors insist it has nothing to do with the depo provera contraceptive injection and they are sending me for all these blood tests etc. that all come back fine. I don't understand why they don't think it's connected. They just don't want to know and all the while I'm still suffering. I really don't know what to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.