I have had stress incontinence since my late teens. I h...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have had stress incontinence since my late teens. I had my first child when I was 31. I believe the problem was caused by coughing. As a child I seemed to constantly have a cough. Both my parents smoked both in the car and in the house and seemed to have an aversion to opening windows so I grew up breathing smoke.

I have no problems waiting to pass urine. I can go to sleep at night knowing that I need the toilet but I'm too lazy to get up and go. I never leak during the night.

My problem arises during hay fever season when I sneeze a lot and then usually develop a cough, or if I catch a cold. I always develop chest infections with either of these conditions and can cough for weeks.

When I went to the GP about the problem I was asked to take off my knickers and stand with my legs apart over a pile of tissue paper and cough. When some urine leaked the diagnosis was, "Yes, you have stress incontinence". This process was humiliating. I was referred to a Physiotherapist who said my pelvic floor muscles weren't too bad so surgery was not appropriate. She gave me an exercise sheet. The exercises haven't helped and I have not returned to my GP as I feel there is nothing that can be done for me.

I have been too embarrassed to by Tena as it's obvious when you get this product what your problem is. I have used Always pads but they don't help with the odour problem. I have recently given in and bought Tena and also Tescos similar product. Although embarrassing to buy, they really do work. They are shorter and a little thicker than Always so more comfortable. The only problem is they have square sides so show at the edge of your knickers.

I have a friend who works in the Gynie Department of the local hospital and she has told me there is a product you can buy from the Internet that you insert into the vagina to help with muscle control. She is going to get me the details and I'm hoping that this will help me.

[i:ba7dea705e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ba7dea705e]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I purchased the cone which you insert to help strengthen the muscles. It cost me £30. It doesn't work. I, like you, cannot cough or sneeze without setting myself and I hate it. I have had a bladder stretch after suffering a humiliating process where I had to have water pumped into my bladder to see how much it would hold. It reached 75ml and I started to cry through pain and humiliation. The bladder stretch was very painful post op and hasn't helped. I dare not go back to ask for more help, so struggle on with the mini magic tena lady pads, but find them so uncomfortable. I am 46 and had one child 22 years ago. How I wish I had done the pelvic floor exercises now!

[i:f9b276a14b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f9b276a14b]

• Posted

:D I HAD S/I FOR OVER A YEAR AFTER A PROLAPSE OP, I TRIED VARIOUS MEDICINES THEY DIDNT WORK.HAD T.V.T OPERATION 5WEEKS AGO NO LEAKING. CAN NOW DO THINGS COUDNT DO BEFORE FEEL GREAT,FEEL LIKE AWOMAN AGAIN /
  • Posted

Hi

I had a baby 4 years ago via caesarean and even though she was only 5lb I have suffered with terrible stress incontinence ever since. If I do any exercise other than walking I uncontollably pass unrine and often so much comes out that tena lady etc are of no use. I have done pelvic floor excercises for years and to no avail.

I am now thinking that an operation will be the only answer, because at 27 I refuse to let this happen for the rest of my life.

Is there anything else anyone can recommend?

• Posted

I have suffered from Stress Incontinence since the birth of my son 16 yrs ago but now I am in my mid 40's it has got worse & I am hopefully having a TVT fitted.

Anyone suffering this should go to their GP & ask for a Urodynamic Study (done at hospital in 2 hours) which then determines if you are eligible for the TVT.

I'll post a note again after the procedure but so far have only heard good things about it. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.