I have had tinnitus since November

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had MRI and CT scans which fortunately show no other problem.  The tinnitus was brought on following an ear-infection upon returning on a long haul flight.  I have now seen an audiologist who has given me a masker and sleep pillow speaker.  The sleep pillow speaker works well but at the moment I am not sure if I am getting any benefit from the ear masker.  The noise I experience is a white noise.  Like the sound of a lap top battery.  It is non stop 24 hrs a day.  I seem to be able to get through the day without too much problem so long as I keep busy and have background music on or getting out and about so you have natural noises around you.  The worse time is sitting down in the evening to watch television.  I seem to compete with the television with the noise trying to outdo the TV.  Going to bed is a lot easier with the pillow speaker as this distracts from the quietness.  I would very much appreciate to hear from anyone experiencing the same problem and their thoughts of how to cope.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi suki98

I got terrible Eustachian dysfunction last year which lasted five long miserable months, ended up seeing a consultant in London who gave me a steroid which helped me completely, however because I had had it so severe it damaged my inner ear which has left me with permanent tinnitus, by symptoms are identical to yours, most of the time life is normal and I live with it well but sometimes when I'm stressed it can get worse, and yes the television seems to compete with it too, though if I'm totally engrossed in a film or program I don't notice my tinnitus, I hope this has helped you a bit, just remember your not alone, we are out there.

Heidi x

• Posted

Thank you Heidi. Its always good to hear how someone else deals with a similar problem. I am told that sometimes it does stop, so fingers crossed!! Any improvements with you please post them.
    • Posted

Mine started afteR a flight And consequent ear infection. I had a drone/ hum noise, very loud at times. 1 year later still there but much fainter and more than manageable. Mine improved after a second flight and another ear infection. The chances are yours will improve, seems ENT are of little use on this subject. I also had hearing therapy, which did help me a lot. Regards

Irene

• Posted

Glad to hear that you have had some improvement. I would like to hear about your hearing therapy. Was it done privately? What did it entail? I am flying again soon, must admit i have been a bit concerned that it might make it worse! Thanks for replying.
  • Posted

White noise is blood flow. Have you had an mra? Could be a number of things, if it's worse when laying down I'd check into psedutumor. Headaches?
  • Posted

I got tinnitus 4 months ago and it can be very upsetting and frustarting. I got an MRI recently and it was clear which I am happy to hear it is normal but also not happy because I wish they could find something to solve this symptom. It is loud and I have alot of ear pressure and my ear pops everytime I swallow. Just don't give up and have hope. Have you seen an ENT? If not, ask for a nose scope. All we can do is try to cope and hope that it goes away soon! I just try to ignore ... it can be hard sometime.
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments. I have just started CBT to see if it will help. I will post my progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.