I have high blood pressure; we have family history

Posted , 6 users are following.

y blood group is B positive. I am using Ramiphrel 10 mg for the last to years. In recent days my average blood pressure was 150/ 100. The Doctor added Amlodipine 5 mg since last two weeks and now my blood pressure is down to 130/ 77. I dont want to add medication after every two years, I am 50 now. I have also nasal  sinus problem as well and will be seeing doctor to remove the polyp in my nostril. Please advise can i control my BP with diet? if yes than what.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Cut out salt, lower alcohol intake, lose weight if you need to and exercise. Lots of people go to the gym but I live in the country and walk [briskly] for half an hour each day. some people swear by beetroot juice, eating raw garlic and/or watermelon.

I've probably had hypertension for over 2 years before they found out and was initially on Ramipril then changed to Losartan due to 'the cough'. Was on 50mg Losartan but had it reduced to 25mg about 3 months ago. On diagnosis of HBP I wanted to try and reduce it by lifestyle means but my negative thinking dr said it woudn't be possible to get low enough. At that point after 24hr monitor it was 163/93. However It now hovers around <125>/80 or even less. So I do feel that natural [ie lifestyle] methods did work but the dr might disagree and say it is the pills. Who knows ?

Best of luck, I don't think there is one single thing that will reduce it naturally but a combination has worked for me. I would so like not to take medication at all.

• Posted

Really watch the salt intake, but we need salts in our body too....so it's a balancing act.   I use sea salts  and take a lot of extract magnesium and potassium as the meds pull potassium from our bodies....

It takes a lot of work and research to manage our BP.

Daily Meditation for even 10 minutes can bring BP down too.....

All the drugs are NOT without side effects.....J

Read about the alternative I posted the other day.

Eat Celery every day as it's a diuretic and has a chemical in it that helps lower BP....

• Posted

Great advice. As many can use these points to help with BP. 

yet eat we don't always have the medical background as their doc does. 

I also would add too check with UR doc first before staring any routine to lower BP.

Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

Losing weight I feel is critical. Vegetable juice twice a day fixes the cardio vascular system by unclogging arteries. Try to laugh more - watch lots of comedy particularly near to bedtime. Excerise is fantastic for high BP.  Doctors sadly want you on more and more meds. I was on seven and now down to one 5mg Norvasc and will be off that by the end of February. A book "What your doctor may not tell you about hypertension" by Doctor Mark Houston. This book will blow you away with all the tested solutions. I have NEVER used so many post-it markers in a book - almost one a page! You will never regret reducing meds. I feel better every day but it has taken 6 months to shed the blighters. Best of luck and lets know how you go.
    • Posted

Great advice to laugh more. We all could do that one very easily.

thankx for aharimg.

• Posted

Hi Hope - I dhould have added that it only works with English humour like Brittas, Faulty Towers, Benny zhill etc.,

• Posted

Many have controlled their blood pressure by diet and exercise & losing weight.

ur doc has UR medical history ask for what's best in UR case. Everyone is different .

take care.

• Posted

Hi Zalmay

You could well have white coat syndrome. Have you investigated this? Most doctors dont believe it exists. I'd be warey about adding Amlodipine as thats the dreadfull stuff I'm trying to wean off at present with about zero help from my GP despite the fantastic results I have achieved with food and lifestyle. I'm 74 and my mum died with hers at 210/105 so I was always diagnosed as hereditory. I now know that this was rubbish. Hang in there and really do your research. Several here have suggested reduced salt. Well I followed Salt Skip here in Australia for 40 years. In so doing I have almost wrecked my esopogest as salt is the key ingredient for making stomach acid. To make matters worse I have been on ppi's for years. Oh the misguided views of those that are supposed to heal us!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.